Monday, October 21, 2013

Gumbo Bread Pudding


Two N'awlins classics, baked into one: gumbo and bread pudding!

With some leftover chicken, a Cajun-spiced bagel, and the makings of "the trinity" - celery, onion, and peppers, which are the heart of Louisiana cooking - it only seemed fitting to take some of the essential elements of gumbo and combine them with the legendary dessert ... only making it savory. This is quick, easy, no-fuss, and delicious! It's a bit reminiscent of a frittata, and perfect for a light supper or a brunch.

You could also add some shrimp, which is often an ingredient in gumbo. But my dear friend Candace, a native of Louisiana who now lives in New Hampshire, told me that "Shrimp would be delish but they are unnecessary" given all of the other goodies already in the mix.

A colorful way to spice up leftovers - enjoy!

An update on my shoulder (mentioned in this post): I've been vindicated - my shoulder pain is more than just tendinitis! Not necessarily good news, but at least an answer to symptoms that weren't supported by the initial x-ray and MRI and an explanation of why physical therapy made it all worse. New x-rays show that the top bone in my shoulder, the acromion, has a slight dip to it that has apparently spent 50+ years abrading the tissue underneath it. So I have an impingement, to quote the orthopedic surgeon, which is severely restricting movement because of considerable scar tissue. I have edema in the bursa, and I do indeed have rotator cuff tendinitis - a trifecta! Had the thrill of a steroid shot (with ABUNDANT thanks to Craig for being the brave one who held my hand and actually looked at the needle), with hopes that it will reduce inflammation and pain as well as breaking up scar tissue. In a month, I get reassessed. No sling, as immobilizing it is counterproductive to maintaining already limited motion ... gee, and I was making plans to bedazzle one!


Gumbo Bread Pudding

2 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup chopped celery
1/3 cup chopped red pepper
1/3 cup chopped red onion
1 Cajun-spiced bagel (or 1 plain bagel and 1/4 teaspoon Cajun spice)
generous pinch of kosher salt
generous pinch of red pepper flakes
1 cup chopped chicken
1 cup chopped Andouille sausage
4 eggs
1/2 cup milk

Preheat the oven to 375F.  Grease a standard souffle dish or 8"x8" baking dish.

Heat the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the celery, pepper, and onion; cook for 2-3 minutes, until softened. Place into a large mixing bowl.

Cut the bagel into 3/4" pieces and add to the mixing bowl along with the salt, red pepper flakes, chicken, and sausage.

Combine the eggs and milk; pour over the bagel mixture, stir, and let soak for 10 minutes. Pour into the prepared dish and bake for 40 minutes until the top is golden and puffed and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.

Serve warm.

Serves 4.

7 comments:

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Love your wording for " the Trinity" ... gave me a good chuckle. Sorry about your shoulder.. sounds very uncomfortable to say the least.

Cranberry Morning said...

I'll have to say, Mary, that this is the first bread pudding recipe that I've been remotely interested in. Sounds tasty! I hope the cortisone shot gives you relief and that nothing further has to be done.

Rachel (Diary of a Recovering Chocoholic) said...

Two of my favorite foods combined! This could not be any better! Definitely going into my "to try" file!

Candace said...

This is even more fabulous than I imagined! I simply have to try this. Yum! I'm from the "other state of Louisiana".... the Northern part.... which is truly a different state in so many ways from the southern part. Even with our differences, we share a love for food. I grew up with a gumbo making mama who often didn't have access to fresh shrimp. No worries as her chicken and sausage gumbo as opposed to the seafood variety was amazing. While I'm a lover of shrimp, I'm just as happy without them in the gumbo with the incredible flavors of the other ingredients. You just won't miss them. Thanks for sharing this delicious creation of yours. It's positively brilliant!

Robin said...

We have already "discussed" this, but I am so glad you have an answer for your shoulder pain. Let's raise a glass to getting better... it is in vogue these days:)

Unknown said...

First... Welcome back.. I'll have to go back and read your first post when I have some time :) So glad to see you back here!!!

Second... the bread pudding sounds delicious.. normally bread pudding is not my cup of tea, but this one truly sounds amazing!!

Third... glad you have found the reason why your shoulder is hurting - hope whatever they come up with for the solution helps relieve the pain!!

Chris said...

I hereby challenge you to a game of tennis ;) :p

Hope your shoulder feels better. My right shoulder has anchors in it from 2 surgeries to repair what seizures did to it. On the bright side, I always know when bad weather is coming in the winter ;)


Looking for Something ...?