Wednesday, August 24, 2011
Pork 'n' Shrimp Stir Fry
Jeremy and his dad have gone back to the low-carb life, and have been killing their arteries with lots of eggs, cheese, bacon, burger patties, and other fat-laden indulgences.
I've tried to explain to them that they could actually reintroduce themselves to a few vegetables, perhaps focus on low-fat protein rather than the greasy stuff. Wah Wah, Wah Wah WAH Wah Wah ... to them, I just sound like the teachers in Charlie Brown cartoons!
So I promised to make dinner for them one night and prove to them that it would not be a cataclysmic catastrophe to find a piece of cabbage or a strip of pepper on their plates.
I mixed some pork, some shrimp and some sauces together in a wok, tossed in a prepared bag of cole slaw mix, and stood at the stove for maybe 10 minutes stirring everything together. And this dinner was devoured in even less time than it took to make! When I told the boys that there was a little bit extra left over, Jeremy immediately lay claim to it before his father could.
Pork 'n' Shrimp Stir Fry
1 tablespoon light oil
1 tablespoon sesame oil
4 drops cayenne pepper sauce
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 pound thin cut pork chops, cut into 1/2" strips
1-1/2 cups small salad shrimp
1/2 red pepper, cut into 1/2" strips
1/2 yellow pepper, cut into 1/2" strips
1/2 cup hoisin sauce
1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
1 14-ounce bag prepared cole slaw mix
4 large scallions, whites chopped fine and greens cut into 1" strips
rice, for serving
Heat the oils, pepper sauce and pepper flakes in a wok over medium-high heat. Add pork and cook until the pork is no longer pink; add the shrimp and cook for 2 minutes. Add the peppers and cook 2 minutes, until caramelizing a bit.
Combine the hoisin and teriyaki sauces; pour into the wok and coat the pork and shrimp with the sauce. Add the cole slaw mix and the whites of the scallions; stir to combine well, and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the scallion greens.
Serve over rice, if desired. Makes 2-4 servings.
Ghosts of Postings Past and Present
- ► 2014 (18)
- ► 2013 (88)
- ► 2012 (229)
- Cheese-Stuffed Italian Sausage Meatloaf
- Schrafft's Hot Fudge Sauce
- Red Beans and Rice, Because "It's Monday, Darlin'"
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Opera on Tap at Frenchie's
- Cucumber, Tomato and Olive Hors d'Oeuvres
- Pork 'n' Shrimp Stir Fry
- Hamburger Gravy with Mashed Redskin Potatoes
- Bratwurst with Peppers and Onions
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Mark's Carts
- Banana Nutella Cake with Coffee Glaze
- Angel Hair Pasta with Purple Basil
- Tomato Sandwiches - One of the Best Summer Meals!
- Tuna Mac 'n' Cheese
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Earthen Jar
- Blueberry Streusel Cake for an Artists' Reception
- Southern Fried Chicken
- Fried Potatoes with Red Pepper and Blue Cheese
- Romanesco Zucchini
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Sweetwater's Cafe
- Ricotta Cheese Pudding
- Fattoush: A Fabulous Summer Salad
- National Ice Cream Sandwich Day
- Breaking the Fast on the First Day of Ramadan
- ▼ August (23)