Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Cranberry Bran Muffins with Orange Marmalade Butter


Sunday mornings, in my opinion, are an ideal time to bake.

And usually I find I want to bake something breakfast-y, since I actually have the luxury of time to loiter in my jammies without having to rush anywhere. I can sip a second cup of coffee, and then enjoy a warm, freshly baked treat along with it.

These muffins are full of nutritious whole grains, but don't present themselves as being terribly virtuous. Moist and delicious, they are exceptional at any time of day but ideal for a lazy weekend morning.

The sweet-tartness of the marmalade butter offers brightness in both color and flavor ... a perfect complement to a weekend treat.

Cranberry Bran Muffins with Orange Marmalade Butter

Muffins:

1 cup bran flakes
1/2 cup buttermilk
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons honey
1/4 cup oil
1 large egg
1/3 cup dried cranberries

Preheat oven to 350F. Line a muffin tin with 8 paper liners.

In a large bowl, combine the bran flakes and buttermilk; let soak for 5 minutes. Stir in the flour, baking soda, salt, baking powder, cinnamon and brown sugar. Combine the honey, oil and eggs; stir into the dry ingredients. Stir in the cranberries.

Divide the batter among the paper liners, and bake for 20 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool on a rack.

Butter:
1/4 cup butter, softened
1-1/2 tablespoons orange marmalade

Combine the butter and the marmalade. Serve along with the muffins.

Makes 8 muffins and 1/4 cup butter.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree with you.. there is just something about Sunday's that make me want to bake! Lucky for me it's starting to cool down here so baking is back on the menu :) Will try these for sure. Love the butter..it would go with so many things!

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

You're so right Mary, Sunday AM's just cry out for baking!! These muffins would be perfect, too :) Such great flavors and textures AND they're about as close to healthy as a muffin should get!

Nicole said...

I agree - what is the deal with Sundays? Just lay around.. cook.. eat.. eat some more... lay around.. eat... eat... ;-)

Leanne said...

Mmmmmmmmmmm . . . (said whilst licking thy lips!)

Claire @ Blueberry Muffins said...

I love your recipe! This would be a great weekend treat for my family but wait, that photo is telling me to gather all the ingredients now. :)

Candace said...

That is the perfect way to spend a Sunday. Cranberry and Orange is one of my favorite flavor combinations. These look delicious. Yum!


Ghosts of Postings Past and Present

Looking for Something ...?