Friday, October 21, 2011

Frugal Floozie Friday -- Sabor Latino


My BFF, Wendy, and I went out to dinner on a cold, dreary, rainy evening recently. We had planned to perform Tashlich ([tahsh-LEEK]: a symbolic casting off of sins represented by tossing bread crumbs into a river at the Jewish new year), but it was postponed because of the muddy conditions near the Huron River.

Have no fear - we went to the Detroit River a few days later to cleanse our souls and affirm efforts to strive for "the highest light" (as the Indigo Girls sing in "Galileo").

But since our spiritual plans had been thwarted, we took care of nourishing our bodies instead. We headed to Sabor Latino, today's Frugal Floozie Friday feature that offers excellent Latin American food.

Wendy ordered the Empanadas Argentinas (pictured above): "Two Argentine style turnovers stuffed with ground beef, raisins, green olives, peppers and onions." These were served with a vibrantly colored and flavored chimichurri sauce on the side, which was so good it would have been ideal served with almost anything! The empanadas cost a mere $4.25 - well within our mandatory Frugal Floozie Friday budget of $5 per person.

I chose a tostada topped with chorizo, which cost only $4.55. The fried tortilla was crisp, and loaded with all the fresh and delicious goodies one would expect: lettuce, onions, beans, tomato, cheese, avocado and sour cream. It was very good, and our waitress told us that it's one of her favorite menu items; she was sufficiently tempted by my order to even consider eating one during her break that evening.

In addition to the items we chose, Wendy and I also shared a basket of excellent chips and fresh salsa to round out our meal. And despite lingering as we chatted about life and love and loss, we were warmly welcomed to stay as long as we wanted to.

Sabor Latino offered us excellent food and a haven from the dreary weather, and I recommend it as a great Frugal Floozie Friday option!


Sabor Latino
211 N. Main Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48104
734-214-7775


View Larger Map


Sabor Latino on Urbanspoon

5 comments:

Miriam said...

You won girlfriend :)
Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

Judee @ Gluten Free A-Z said...

I really love Frugal Floozie Friday. It amazes me how you pull off an interesting meal for under $5/person. This weeks looks delicious.

Candace said...

I am amazed, as well, at how you find such incredible deals. Yum!

Mary Sullivan Frasier said...

Yumm! It looks so good, I'm having a serious craving for Mexican/Latin food - and it's only breakfast time!

Great meal and a great deal!

XOXO,
~Mrs B

Leanne said...

A few years ago, I tried my hand at homemade empanadas. I remember them being a LOT of work . . . . but they were SOOOOO good. This post reminds me of that time! oh, how I love that!!


Ghosts of Postings Past and Present

Looking for Something ...?