Monday, March 12, 2012

Raisin Cookies


Raisin Cookies.  Not oatmeal raisin cookies, but just "raisin cookies."

These are my father's favorites.  My family has been making them for more than 40 years, since we first found the recipe in a Highlights magazine at my dentist's office.  They're simple, but fragrant and flavorful with cinnamon and fruit.

My father suffered a small stroke recently, though he's doing well enough that he might be going home from the nursing home physical therapy rehab today (too soon for my liking, since he's still weak and has vision problems, even if his disposition and attitude are good).  And so I did what little I could to help him feel better: I baked cookies.

Sometimes you want a cookie with lots of goodies - chocolate chips, oats, nuts, candies, and all sorts of crispy, crunchy stuff.  This is not the cookie to satisfy that craving.

Instead, these are the cookies you seek when you just want the comfort of an old-fashioned snack with a glass of cold milk.   These are not the supermodels of the cookie world, sexy and glamorous; instead, they are the girl next door, wholesome and sweet.

You'll be surprised how they seduce you, how many you'll find yourself eating once you bake a batch ....

Raisin Cookies

3/4 cup raisins
1/2 cup water
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
1-1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 eggs
2-1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

Preheat oven to 350F.  Lightly grease a cookie sheet.

Place the raisins and the water into a small saucepan; bring to a boil, cook for 5 minutes, then turn off heat.

In a large bowl, cream together sugar, brown sugar, butter, vanilla and cinnamon.  Stir in the eggs.  Mix in the flour, baking soda and salt.  Stir in the raisins with the water.

Drop batter onto the baking sheet in dollops the size of walnut shells, leaving room for the cookies to spread.  Bake for 12 minutes, til the cookies are golden.  Let cookies cool on a rack.

Makes about 48 cookies.


Mommy of Two Little Monkeys

6 comments:

Unknown said...

My grandma used to make just plain old raisin cookies too. I disliked them as a kid, but have grown very fond of them as an adult! This is a great little homage to your dad! Hope he gets a full recovery soon!

Cranberry Morning said...

Oh Mary, I'm sorry to hear about your father. I hope he recovers quickly and fully. I love the story behind the family recipe for these cookies. Of course you found the recipe in Highlights Magazine at the dentist office. lol That SO brings back memories. :-) And I like it that they are simply 'raisin,' not 'oatmeal and raisin.' All the best to your dad.

Cindy said...

Mary, I hope your dad is recovering rapidly and will be home soon. I'm so sorry to hear this. And this cookie looks like a fantastic break from the choco-caramel-whatnot overload that so many cookies pack. There's a time for everything and I know just the time for these. :) Sending healing energy for your father. Wish I could send bread pudding (made the right way).

Candace said...

Many thoughts and prayers for your dad's speedy and complete recovery! I have never had just a raisin cookie; but I love the idea of it. This is one cookie that I need to try.

Beth Zimmerman said...

My father's favorite's are Raisin Cookies too but they're a filled cookie ... like two sugar cookie discs with a super sweet and sticky raisin filling. Lots of work to make so they were a rare treat.

I'm sorry your dad is suffering from a stroke. I know how scary that is. The worst few hours I ever spent were sitting in a hospital room having the same conversation over and over with my husband because he had a mini stroke and was stuck in about a 2 minute loop. He recovered quickly and completely. I pray that your dad does likewise!

Chris said...

I hope your father is doing well and recovering quickly.


Ghosts of Postings Past and Present

Looking for Something ...?