Thursday, March 8, 2012

BBQ Pork Sandwich with Fennel and Onion


I found a pork loin on sale at the grocery store recently, so I simply had to buy it.  I had no idea what I'd make with it, since I hadn't anticipated blundering into such a great deal.  But when one is granted a moment of serendipity, one simply follows along.

The next morning, I cut the roast into 4 portions and seasoned it simply before placing the pieces into my crockpot.  Then I peered into the refrigerator and concocted a sauce for it to linger in throughout the day.  I love crockpots - you come home from work, dinner is ready and waiting, and the house smells amazing as though someone has been cooking all day just for you.

The pork became tender and fragrant, practically dissolving into shreds.  I had many ideas for ways to enjoy it, but was so enticed by temptation that I didn't want to spend a lot of time preparing anything.  I gave very serious consideration to simply standing over the crockpot with a fork, but decided that this was a tad too bachelor-like to suit me.  I'm kinda prissy: I like little details like wine glasses and cloth napkins.

So I simply sauteed some fennel (I'm still on a mission to get others to like it as much as I do!) and red onion - crunchy complements to the tender pork.  A little drizzle of barbecue sauce, and a quick, hearty and delicious dinner was ready!

Saveur is seeking nominees for its 2012 Best Food Blog Awards.  If you know of anyone to nominate in one of the numerous categories, click on this link to submit your favorites ... ;)



BBQ Pork Sandwich with Fennel and Onion

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 large head fennel, stems trimmed, halved, sliced thin
1 large red onion, halved, sliced thin
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
generous sprinkling of freshly ground black pepper
4 whole wheat sandwich rolls
3 cups shredded barbecue pork (see recipe below or pre-purchased)
1/3 cup barbecue sauce

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  Add the fennel, onion, salt and pepper; saute for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender and lightly caramelized.

Place the bottoms of each roll onto 4 plates.  Divide the vegetable mixture among the rolls, and divide the pork among them as well, placing it on top of the vegetables.  Drizzle the pork with barbecue sauce, then cover with the tops of the rolls.

Serve immediately.  Makes 4 sandwiches.

Crockpot Pork Loin

1 4-pound pork loin roast, cut into 4 pieces
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/3 cup barbecue sauce
1 tablespoon teriyaki sauce
1 tablespoon white wine
juice of 1 small orange
1 teaspoon harissa or other hot sauce

Season the pork with the salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder.  Place 2 pieces into the crockpot.  Combine the remaining ingredients and pour half of the sauce over the pork.  Place the remaining pork into the crockpot and pour the rest of the sauce over it.  Cover and cook on "low" for a minimum of 8 hours.  Shred the meat with a fork, stirring to incorporate the liquid.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

There are few things that are as amazing as a good bbq pork sandwich. I like mine with coleslaw on top..but anyone can do that - I like your idea of the fennel and onion!

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Teriyaki sauce in the pork? Hello delicious, where have you been my whole life?!?! The pork sounds utterly divine. The fennel, well it's not my thing. I really dislike that licorish flavor - but if you like it I can see how it'd be delicious on the pork. Thanks Mary. Now I want pork! Hopefully the grocery store will have one on sale waiting for me :)

Miriam said...

Sounds like an amazing sandwich Mary :), Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

Cindy @ Once Upon a Loaf said...

This looks scrumtious! I love this kind of pork. My kids might even like this. Thanks!

Candace said...

David and I absolutely adore fennel! I have never thought of putting it on a sandwich before though. That's genius! This looks amazing, Mary.

Chris said...

I can't stand bbq pork. Ha ha ha ha ha ha, just wanted to try to say that with a straight face, couldn't do it.

I like the ingredients you used for your sauce.


Ghosts of Postings Past and Present

Looking for Something ...?