Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Pomegranate-Glazed Sweet Potato Spears


Sweet potatoes aren't just for Thanksgiving.  One of the guests at the first Seder I attended at Passover brought a rich, sweet casserole featuring this gorgeous vegetable; and my very dear friend Candace, of Mi Chiamo Candace, recently posted about a flavorful spiced Roasted Sweet Potato Salad.  So with all this attention being paid to them, I've been craving sweet potatoes, which I adore.

This is a ridiculously simple preparation in which the sweetness of the main attraction contrasts with, and complements, the tartness of the pomegranate molasses.  And the house smells so, so good while this dish is baking.  These spears were fabulously delicious; I was sorely tempted to eat the entire batch instead of sharing!

This is an easy accompaniment to chicken, pork, burgers ... even turkey!

Pomegranate-Glazed Sweet Potato Spears

2 large sweet potatoes, peeled, cut lengthwise into 3/4"-wide strips
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/8 cup pomegranate molasses
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt

Preheat oven to 375F.  Line a baking sheet with foil.

In a large bowl, toss the sweet potatoes with the oil and the pomegranate molasses.  Place in a single layer onto the baking sheet and sprinkle with the salt.  Bake for 1 hour until the sweet potatoes are glazed, caramelized, and tender.

Serves 6 as a side dish.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Oooohhhh!!! This is a fantastic idea.. you - are - a GENIUS!! I've been thinking about picking up some pomegranate molasses but had no idea how I would use it... now I know!

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

I don't eat enough sweet potatoes. This recipe sounds like one that I should be making soon! Love the pomegranate glaze - different and tasty!

Cranberry Morning said...

Well, I eat Andrea's quota of sweet potatoes and my own. lol 'Glazed, carmelized, and tender' sounds absolutely alluring.

Carla from The River said...

My kids are going to love this! They love sweet potato fries. Thanks for sharing!

Candace said...

I'm catching up on reading tonight and have to say a big thank you for the shout out! I picked up some pomegranate juice recently with the idea of making some pomegranate molasses. Now I know why! It is because I need to make these yummy little morsels. This is a great idea, Mary! I can't wait to try them.


Ghosts of Postings Past and Present

Looking for Something ...?