Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Buttery Pork Chops - Guest Post by Jeremy!


Jeremy likes to visit me when his dad gets on his nerves and/or when he's in the mood to get spoiled and fed well. But the other night, HE made dinner for ME! It was fabulous - luscious, tender, flavorful, sublime. It was consummate treyf ([trayf]= non-kosher), and it was so, so good!

I said, "You should write a guest post for me." And instead of saying, "Meh," he actually agreed! So, after all the pictures, after all the mentions, after all the talking about Jeremy, let me introduce you to him as he shares his inspiration and delicious recipe. He may be 6'3" and 21 years old, but he's still my baby and I'm so proud of him ... :)



Let me start off by saying that I am no chef, but I sincerely enjoy good food. I am also not a gourmet; I'm a 21 year old male and will eat about anything that is put in front of me.

But I believe food can be exquisite without all kinds of sauces like ketchup or mustard or spices, instead using only simple ingredients that will accentuate the flavor of the main source of food in your meal.

I was sitting in my room one day thinking about how much I love meat, but how whenever it's prepared it seems to be drenched in ketchup or other sauces; and I wanted to find a way to prepare a dish where you actually enjoy the flavor of the meat and not what it's soaked in. I decided that I would make a pork chop fried in butter, with diced onions thrown into the pan; according to my rationale and logic, I figured that it would accentuate the flavor of the meat instead of overpowering it.

So in order to make a pork chop like this, you need:
  • 1/2 stick of butter
  • 1 medium onion, finely diced
  • 3 3/4"-thick boneless pork chops
Turn on your stove and put the butter in the pan. As the pan heats up, the butter will melt and there should be about 1/4" of butter melted in the pan to fry the pork chops in.

Once the butter has melted, place the pork chops in the pan. It should take about 8-10 minutes for the first side to brown to perfection. Then flip the pork chop onto its other side and add the diced onions into the pan. While the pork chop is finishing cooking, the onions will be frying in the butter for the duration of the cooking.

Once the pork chop is done, the onions should be blackened. Place the pork chops on their plates, put the diced onions on top of the pork chops, and pour the remaining butter onto the pork chops.

Now you have a simple and elegant meal that is sure to please. The butter and onions complement the pork perfectly without overpowering it, instead being able to taste the sweet flavor of the pork with accents to the meat that aren't overbearing like a barbecue sauce or ketchup.

I sincerely hope that you all enjoy this recipe and come to love the flavor of the meat instead of relying on a sauce to make the meat palatable.

Take care.

3 comments:

Chris said...

Butter and pork chops? Yep, count me in! My 24 y/o son can't cook like this.

~~louise~~ said...

So very nice to meet you Jeremy:)

Although I am new to your mom's blog, I have already heard so much about you. However, I don't recall your mother saying anything about you being a natural born cook. Some of the world's most famous cooks totally agree with your simple preparation of food. There was a time people had to mask their foods in laden filled sauces and such else the food would be unbearable to eat. If nothing else, we've come a long way in the improvement of healthy and tastier foods, especially when it comes to pork, one of my favorites I might add.

Thank you so much for sharing your meal with us and your mom. She sure is proud of you and has every reason to be.

The next time I make pork chops I promise to keep it simple:)

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Oh boy this sounds GOOD!! Onions and pork chops are a match made in heaven. The butter only guilds the lily :) Great job Jeremy - thanks for the guest blog, it's so nice to hear from you after hearing about you all these years! Nice job Mary, you've got a great son & cook there!!


Ghosts of Postings Past and Present

Looking for Something ...?