Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Cookbooks Needed!

I have the enormous good fortune to be working with Jan Longone, curator of the culinary archive at The University of Michigan, who is putting together a Jewish cookbook exhibit that will be held at UM in Ann Arbor later this year.

Jan wants to include a display of Jewish charity/community cookbooks from all 50 states; these would come from temples, synagogues, Jewish community centers, Hadasssah, ORT, etc. I've been given the task of trying to hunt some of these down, so I'm reaching out to all my friends, colleagues, readers, etc., to ask for help. Here are the states we still need books from:

Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Kansas, Mississippi, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Vermont, Wyoming ... whew!

Jan is also looking for a copy of The Temple Cook Book from Temple Beth El in Detroit, dated 1903. This one is the Holy Grail for her.

It is preferred that people donate books to the collection rather than loaning them to the exhibit; Jan can appraise them, if you do so. (She appraised Julia Child's collection before donation. If you want to read more about her - a fabulous woman and a priceless resource - here's a good article.)

Please let me know if you have any of these books, any questions, etc.

Thank you so, so much!

2 comments:

Cranberry Morning said...

I wish I could tell you that I have that 1902 Temple Cook Book. I don't suppose you'd be willing to substitute 'The Foursquare Ladies' Pot Luck Recipes'? ;-)

I wish I'd always valued cookbooks like I do now. I've (ashamed to admit) thrown out cookbooks in my past. I deserve a public lashing.

Judee@ Gluten Free A-Z Blog said...

Wow! what a great idea. Sorry, I have nothing to send from any of the states listed.


Looking for Something ...?