Monday, December 16, 2013

Chocolate Toffee Haystacks



In December, 2011, I offered a recipe for an old family favorite no-bake cookie: Toasted Coconut Haystacks.

But the recipe continues to evolve.

My friend Sassa told me, after seeing the initial recipe, that in her native Sweden they make a similar cookie, but it features a bit of coffee ... sigh. What a perfect notion! Okay, added that for future reference.

Then one evening, Craig and I wanted a little something sweet. Well, one of the perks of no-bake cookies is that they can be made very quickly; and since I actually had most of the ingredients on hand, it seemed only natural to make a batch of these treats. Except that I had no coconut. Uh oh.

But not to be deterred - a sweet tooth with a craving is NOT to be denied! - I looked through the pantry to see what I could substitute. And I just happened to have a half-bag of toffee chips - crisp and crunchy, so they would contribute some texture while also not melting into the boiled base for the cookies. And, there you have it!

Chocolate Toffee Haystacks, the best version of these cookies yet!

And if you'd like to make some holiday treats for your dog(s) - they shouldn't be left out, after all! - here's a very cute site with lots of ideas: Dog Vacay. Once my arm is functional again, I may just have to make some Dog Nog or Dog Bark for my own grandpuppy ... :)


Chocolate Toffee Haystacks

2 cups sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup half-and-half
4 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 14-ounce package quick-cook oatmeal
2/3 cup milk chocolate toffee chips

Line a baking sheet with a silicone liner, waxed paper, or greased foil.

Bring sugar, butter, half-and-half, cocoa powder, coffee, and vanilla to a rolling boil in a 3-quart saucepan; without stirring, let boil for 2 minutes, then remove from heat. Stir in oatmeal and toffee chips.

Scoop into golf ball-sized blobs and place onto the prepared baking sheet. Refrigerate until set.

Makes 30 cookies.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Okay.. now I know I would LOVE these... not being a huge fan of coconut, the toffee chips are a fantastic substitution!!!! Nicely done!

Carla from The River said...

Great idea! Yum.

Chris said...

I would gain so much weight if I hung out at your house much.


Looking for Something ...?