Thursday, October 14, 2010

I Get to Interview Joan Nathan!!!

Oh, bestill my giddy, beating heart!

Joan Nathan -- cookbook author extraordinaire and celebrant of Jewish food -- is coming to Ann Arbor on November 1 to be the opening act (and, as far as I'm concerned, headliner!) for our Jewish Book Festival. The festival will feature a wide variety of topics and authors; many rounds of applause to my friends who have worked so diligently to put it all together! However, we all know which will be my favorite ... sigh. Tom and I will be there that Monday night anxiously awaiting Joan's discussion with Ari Weinzweig, co-founder of the famous Zingerman's Deli who will be the moderator for her appearance.

This wonderful woman -- who is a combination of cook, writer, historian, anthropologist, and archivist ... not to mention "Mom" -- is promoting her new cookbook delving into two of my very favorite cuisines: French and Jewish. Quiches, Kugels and Couscous: My Search for Jewish Cooking in France is the latest in a collection that shares priceless recipes from the traditional to the novel, from everyday favorites to holiday treats.

Of course, it's a huge thrill that someone of Joan's stature and reputation -- winner of both James Beard and IACP/Julia Child awards, PBS cooking show star, New York Times contributor, and so much more -- is coming back to Ann Arbor (she's a fellow University of Michigan alumna). But even more exciting -- as though that's at all possible! -- is that someone is going to be interviewing her for AnnArbor.com, our local online "newspaper," to promote her appearance.

This "someone" writes a weekly column for AnnArbor.com ....

This "someone" also happens to work in the Jewish community ....

This "someone" considers quiche, kugel and couscous to be among her favorite foods ....

This "someone" once leapt at the opportunity to buy a Jewish cookbook written in French from a thrift shop ....

Yup -- that someone is me!!!

On Friday afternoon, Joan Nathan and I are going to kibbitz and schmooze about food, Jewish food, French food, and anything else I can cram into my brief phone call with her. Can you tell that I'm excited??? Would you have guessed that this isn't something I get to do every day ... or ever??? My brain is spinning and swirling, as I try to avoid asking the same ol' boring questions for the 8463rd time.

I want to be warm and welcoming, probing and profound. And I want to be sure I let her shine. I can look online to find resources to promote the book and the appearance here in town. But I have been honored with an opportunity to spend time with a woman who has undertaken a mission to preserve tradition and culture and history -- all the things I believe food represents so well. I wonder what she wants to talk about ...?

So be sure to check here, on AnnArbor.com, on Facebook, and on Twitter so that you don't miss a thing! Not only will there be the interview, but I'll also write about Joan's appearance at the Book Festival and will undoubtedly have way too good a time with the new cookbook I'll be buying (and having autographed!) on November 1 ... :) Lots of stories and recipes will be coming soon!


For The Love Of 4

Photobucket

moonangelnay thursday blogspot link party blog hop

Bassgiraffe's Thoughts Thursday Blog Hop






10 comments:

Rhe Christine said...

that's a pretty cool thing! have fun!!
i'm a new follower from the thursday blog hop :)
http://www.cammostylelove.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Visiting from Blog Hop.
Following you now.
Please Visit and follow back at;
http://healthythaifoodbythebennett.blogspot.com
http://qualitytime-nan.blogspot.com
Thank You.
Nan

Unknown said...

That is so cool!!! I'll be checking it out for sure!!

Nicole said...

WOWZA. Congrats!

Unknown said...

that's awesome! I'm assuming you'll be posting a link to the interview here for us!

Kelly said...

Congratulations! I'm so excited for you!!

Kelly said...

Congratulations! I'm so excited for you!

HBrummett said...

HOw cool! Thanks for joining us at Traveling Through Thursday! I am now following you! Have a great week! www.livingonloveandcents.blogspot.com

Ashly said...

Hello! New follower from the Bloghop & would love if you followed me back! THANK YOU!
http://dirtytruthreviews.blogspot.com
http://etsyshopreviews.blogspot.com

Thanks :)

BabaMoon Baby Knits said...

wow!!! congrats on getting that interview with her! sounds awesome!


Ghosts of Postings Past and Present

Looking for Something ...?