Friday, October 15, 2010

Sunday Scones

Well, it was Sunday morning and -- before a stomach bug took me down on what may have been one of Michigan's last warm, sunny days 'til April or so -- I was in the mood to bake. This desire to bake on a lazy Sunday morning occurs so often that I should almost make it a weekly posting ... but then I'd feel constrained and obligated, which kinda takes the fun out of it.

I had been thinking of making scones (I was raised to pronounce it [SKAHns], by the way, rather than [SCOEns]) for a couple of weeks now. I bought currants specifically for that purpose. I just needed both time and inclination to converge.

And that's what Sunday mornings are for. So while I waited for my coffee to brew, I mixed together the flour, sugar, cinnamon and candied ginger, the yogurt (Brown Cow Cream-Top Maple, if you've got it ... man, is that stuff amazing!!!), and everything else. It might take a whopping 5 minutes to stir everything together into a batter. Pat the mixture onto a pan, bake it, and that's it -- a lovely accompaniment to cider, to tea, to the morning caffeine fix, to a glass of milk, to cocoa ... truly, these scones could go with anything at any time of day.

Ginger-Walnut Scones

1-1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
1/2 cup unbleached white flour
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup walnuts, finely chopped
1/3 cup currants
1/4 cup candied ginger pieces, minced
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1/2 cup maple-flavored yogurt
1 egg
1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon apple cider
1/3 cup confectioners' sugar

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a baking sheet.

In a large bowl, combine whole wheat flour, white flour, salt, cinnamon, brown sugar, walnuts, currants and candied ginger. Stir in the butter and yogurt until mixture is crumbly.


Combine egg and 1/4 cup cider; pour over dry mixture and combine.

Place dough onto the baking sheet. With damp hands, form an 8" circle. Use a wet knife to score the dough into 8 wedges.

Bake for 30 minutes until golden, then let cool completely.

Combine confectioners' sugar with 1 tablespoon cider; drizzle over the circle, then cut into 8 individual scones.





Photobucket

12 comments:

Pumpkin Tart said...

Wow, those look great! I need to try and find maple flavored yogurt. I'm a maple fanatic and have never seen it before. Thanks for the yummy recipe Mary!

Cranberry Morning said...

These look just wonderful! And I'd take a scone any day over a cinnamon roll or Danish or anything like that. I love the texture, the substance! Yum! And put in extra walnuts for me, please. :-)

Unknown said...

mmmmmmmm...now I know for sure that would go great with my coffee right now! I love scones, I have yet to make them yet though...but it's my list of things to make...it's becoming a long list!!

Unknown said...

This is a perfect recipe for the weekend! I think we will make it! Thank you for posting this recipe! We have tweeted it from @WalnutLovers on Twitter. We love walnuts and are trying to find all of the walnut recipes and lovers across the web and bring them into one place. You can follow us on Twitter, checkin on #MealMonday for great walnut recipes, and #WalnutWednesday for a look at the biggest walnut lovers. Or you can see where walnuts are being mentioned anywhere in the world, on the web at http://www.walnutlovers.com. Thanks for the love!

Susie Buetow said...

Happy Friday! I'm already your friend! Just saying HI and checking out your food! yum as always! Stop in and link up something new at my RECIPE 2 TAB!

Have a great weekend! susie

Robin said...

You actually made that sound easy...

Rachel @ Finding Joy said...

Those look fabulous! I think I'm going to have to add them to my list of recipes to try.

Have a great day!

Jean at The Delightful Repast said...

Love scones (skahns) and tea. I've given up, though, and gone to pronouncing it to rhyme with stones; it's just easier to go with the crowd on that one!

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness these look SO GOOD! I absolutely LOVE ginger scones and am always looking for a good recipe!

Kelly said...

These look delish! Thanks for the recipe!

Miriam said...

I'll have to try those. As I've said before, your blog is adorable :) See you around from Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

Leanne said...

Mmmmmm Mmmmmmmm . . . I am "all over" these scones, and I mean that in the nicest way possible! ;)

LOVE them!


Ghosts of Postings Past and Present

Looking for Something ...?