Wednesday, August 31, 2011
Cheese-Stuffed Italian Sausage Meatloaf
This may not be the most photogenic recipe I'll ever offer to you (trust me - I tried valiantly with different plates and angles and lighting!), but it's truly one of the best. Just imagine it: Italian sausage, Parmesan, Gorgonzola, pesto ... a feast of flavors, if not a feast for the eyes!
Meatloaf often gets a bad reputation because it's usually just plain ol' ground beef mixed with ketchup or bread crumbs or Lipton onion soup mix, but it doesn't need to be that way. Use a variety of meats, change up the sauces and seasonings, stuff something interesting into the middle ... give it a make-over and glam it up!
You can vary the spiciness of the dish by using mild, sweet or hot Italian sausage; and you can lower the fat content by using links made of turkey, if you prefer.
This dinner was devoured so quickly that there wasn't even a hope of leftovers for the next day - pretty good reviews for a meatloaf!
Cheesey Italian Sausage Meatloaf
1 pound sweet Italian sausage
1 pound ground turkey
1 small red onion, chopped fine
4 tablespoons pesto, divided
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon oregano
4 ounces Gorgonzola, divided
1/4 cup shredded parmesan
Preheat oven to 400F.
In a large mixing bowl, combine sausage, turkey, onion, 2 tablespoons of the pesto, salt, pepper and oregano. Take two-thirds of the mixture and press it across the bottom and up the sides of a 9" pie pan. Place half of the Gorgonzola and all of the parmesan into the center of the circle, leaving a 1/2" border. Carefully spread the rest of the mixture over the cheese, and seal the edges.
Bake for 45 minutes, then brush with remaining the remaining 2 tablespoons pesto; sprinkle the remaining Gorgonzola over the top. Bake 5 more minutes.
Let the meatloaf rest for 5 minutes before cutting into portions.
Ghosts of Postings Past and Present
- ► 2014 (18)
- ► 2013 (88)
- ► 2012 (229)
- Cheese-Stuffed Italian Sausage Meatloaf
- Schrafft's Hot Fudge Sauce
- Red Beans and Rice, Because "It's Monday, Darlin'"...
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Opera on Tap at Frenchie'...
- Cucumber, Tomato and Olive Hors d'Oeuvres
- Pork 'n' Shrimp Stir Fry
- Hamburger Gravy with Mashed Redskin Potatoes
- Bratwurst with Peppers and Onions
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Mark's Carts
- Banana Nutella Cake with Coffee Glaze
- Angel Hair Pasta with Purple Basil
- Tomato Sandwiches - One of the Best Summer Meals!
- Tuna Mac 'n' Cheese
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Earthen Jar
- Blueberry Streusel Cake for an Artists' Reception
- Southern Fried Chicken
- Fried Potatoes with Red Pepper and Blue Cheese
- Romanesco Zucchini
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Sweetwater's Cafe
- Ricotta Cheese Pudding
- Fattoush: A Fabulous Summer Salad
- National Ice Cream Sandwich Day
- Breaking the Fast on the First Day of Ramadan
- ▼ August (23)