Tuesday, August 16, 2011
Tomato Sandwiches - One of the Best Summer Meals!
Is there a more perfect summer food than a ripe tomato? And is there any better way to eat one than in a tomato sandwich? I know many people - myself included! - who wait all year long for the joy of biting into this deliriously simple but splendid delicacy.
It takes so little to make a tomato sandwich - bread, mayonnaise, lettuce, tomato, a bit of salt and pepper. And yet, because there are so few ingredients, the quality of each is paramount.
So start with a good sourdough to contrast with the sweetness of the freshly picked, vine-ripened tomato. Add real mayonnaise - full-fat, please, contributing its smooth richness to the cause. Toss in some crisp lettuce, to add both contrasting color and crunch. Add a sprinkle each of salt and pepper, and put it all together.
And once these few simple items have been combined, you find yourself with a sandwich you remember vividly from last summer, which you've longed for as you watched the leaves turn, as you shovelled the snow, as you smelled the lilacs in bloom, as you planted your tomato seedlings and tended them with care.
It's finally here - the sandwich you've missed so, the one you've dreamt of for months and months.
You take the first bite ... the juice of the tomato starts to drip down your hand ... you grab for your napkin. And you smile broadly, knowing it was worth every moment of the wait for this moment of sheer bliss.
2 slices sourdough bread
generous schmears of mayonnaise
2 1/2" thick slices of tomato
pinch of kosher salt
pinch of freshly ground pepper
Lay the bread onto the countertop, and schmear with the mayonnaise. Lay lettuce on one slice of bread, and top it with the tomato slices. Sprinkle the salt and pepper over the tomatoes, then top with the remaining slice of bread and cut the sandwich in half.
Makes 1 sandwich, but can easily be multiplied.
Ghosts of Postings Past and Present
- December (4)
- November (12)
- October (6)
- June (1)
- May (14)
- April (13)
- March (10)
- February (12)
- January (12)
- December (12)
- November (14)
- October (18)
- September (16)
- August (20)
- July (19)
- June (21)
- May (23)
- April (21)
- March (22)
- February (21)
- January (22)
- December (22)
- November (22)
- October (21)
- September (22)
- Cheese-Stuffed Italian Sausage Meatloaf
- Schrafft's Hot Fudge Sauce
- Red Beans and Rice, Because "It's Monday, Darlin'"...
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Opera on Tap at Frenchie'...
- Cucumber, Tomato and Olive Hors d'Oeuvres
- Pork 'n' Shrimp Stir Fry
- Hamburger Gravy with Mashed Redskin Potatoes
- Bratwurst with Peppers and Onions
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Mark's Carts
- Banana Nutella Cake with Coffee Glaze
- Angel Hair Pasta with Purple Basil
- Tomato Sandwiches - One of the Best Summer Meals!
- Tuna Mac 'n' Cheese
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Earthen Jar
- Blueberry Streusel Cake for an Artists' Reception
- Southern Fried Chicken
- Fried Potatoes with Red Pepper and Blue Cheese
- Romanesco Zucchini
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Sweetwater's Cafe
- Ricotta Cheese Pudding
- Fattoush: A Fabulous Summer Salad
- National Ice Cream Sandwich Day
- Breaking the Fast on the First Day of Ramadan
- July (21)
- June (22)
- May (20)
- April (21)
- March (23)
- February (21)
- January (21)