Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Tomato Sandwiches - One of the Best Summer Meals!


Is there a more perfect summer food than a ripe tomato? And is there any better way to eat one than in a tomato sandwich? I know many people - myself included! - who wait all year long for the joy of biting into this deliriously simple but splendid delicacy.

It takes so little to make a tomato sandwich - bread, mayonnaise, lettuce, tomato, a bit of salt and pepper. And yet, because there are so few ingredients, the quality of each is paramount.

So start with a good sourdough to contrast with the sweetness of the freshly picked, vine-ripened tomato. Add real mayonnaise - full-fat, please, contributing its smooth richness to the cause. Toss in some crisp lettuce, to add both contrasting color and crunch. Add a sprinkle each of salt and pepper, and put it all together.

And once these few simple items have been combined, you find yourself with a sandwich you remember vividly from last summer, which you've longed for as you watched the leaves turn, as you shovelled the snow, as you smelled the lilacs in bloom, as you planted your tomato seedlings and tended them with care.

It's finally here - the sandwich you've missed so, the one you've dreamt of for months and months.

You take the first bite ... the juice of the tomato starts to drip down your hand ... you grab for your napkin. And you smile broadly, knowing it was worth every moment of the wait for this moment of sheer bliss.



Tomato Sandwich

2 slices sourdough bread
generous schmears of mayonnaise
lettuce
2 1/2" thick slices of tomato
pinch of kosher salt
pinch of freshly ground pepper

Lay the bread onto the countertop, and schmear with the mayonnaise. Lay lettuce on one slice of bread, and top it with the tomato slices. Sprinkle the salt and pepper over the tomatoes, then top with the remaining slice of bread and cut the sandwich in half.

Makes 1 sandwich, but can easily be multiplied.

12 comments:

Candace said...

ooooh...I had one of these yesterday and hoped to have another one for lunch today. I'm thinking that it might not wait for lunch and become my breakfast instead. :)

Have a beautiful day, sweet friend!

Cranberry Morning said...

I love the idea of using sourdough bread, Mary! I've got several ripe tomatoes from my garden and I know what I'm going to do with them. Wonderful summertime lunch!

Unknown said...

I love how amazingly sexy and delicious you made that sandwich sound!!! I mean, all of a sudden all I want is a tomato sandwich!!! YUM!

Vanillabeanseed said...

oh yum!

Vodka Logic said...

The best sandwich ever.. love August and fresh tomatoes.

Karen Harris said...

I've got an heirloom tomato almost ready for picking on the vine right now and wouldn't this be the perfect thing to do with it?! I also baked a loaf of PBO Dilly Bread last night and boy, would this sandwich be great on a couple of slices of that. If you haven't tried it, I highly recommend it.

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Must have tomato sandwich!!! Must resist urge to put bacon on that bad boy too :) Looks so so So good Mary! Summertime in sandwich form, love it!

Unknown said...

Love love love tomato sandwiches. To me, they are summer on a plate :)

Nicole said...

That is certainly a staple with my family. (Except for me. - Not really into mayo or tomatoes) - BUT - I know people who LIVE off of these!

LaMagicaZucca said...

I love your blog: Recipes, graphics, all the interesting content.
I'm your followers now
If you want to jump in my blog, you are welcome.
The Magic Pumpkin

Beth Zimmerman said...

Oh YUM! I love fresh cucumber sandwiches (with miracle whip on white ... I'm a nutrition wimp) too! Mmmmmm summer!

Miriam said...

I totally agree!! Tomato sandwiches are the best!!! (I have them almost on a daily basis right now :), Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters


Ghosts of Postings Past and Present

Looking for Something ...?