Tuesday, August 2, 2011
National Ice Cream Sandwich Day
How can you not celebrate something as fabulous as National Ice Cream Sandwich Day??? Is this a great occasion, or what?
Even if you're rushed for time and have to just buy a box of sandwiches at the grocery store, be sure to join in the party! To spiff things up a bit, you could layer them to make a frozen "cake" of sorts, a fancier dessert.
You could also invest some time and effort into baking your own cookies and making your own ice cream ... but that's a fair amount of work, and we want to be eating!
So compromise: buy large cookies at the grocery store (or gratefully accept a gift of homemade oatmeal chocolate chip cookies from your boyfriend's sister) and fill them with store-bought ice cream (I used butter pecan). Then you can spend your time luxuriating over dessert rather than slaving away in front of a hot oven or washing lots of dishes.
Who wants to work, after all, when they can be eating ice cream?
Ice Cream Cookie Sandwiches
2 large (3"-4" cookies)
1/2 cup ice cream, slightly softened
Place one cookie upside down on the countertop. Place the ice cream onto the cookie and top with the other cookie, right-side up. Press together gently, then wrap in plastic wrap and freeze for at least 1 hour to set. Repeat to make as many sandwiches as you'd like.
Ghosts of Postings Past and Present
- ► 2014 (18)
- ► 2013 (89)
- ► 2012 (229)
- Cheese-Stuffed Italian Sausage Meatloaf
- Schrafft's Hot Fudge Sauce
- Red Beans and Rice, Because "It's Monday, Darlin'"...
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Opera on Tap at Frenchie'...
- Cucumber, Tomato and Olive Hors d'Oeuvres
- Pork 'n' Shrimp Stir Fry
- Hamburger Gravy with Mashed Redskin Potatoes
- Bratwurst with Peppers and Onions
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Mark's Carts
- Banana Nutella Cake with Coffee Glaze
- Angel Hair Pasta with Purple Basil
- Tomato Sandwiches - One of the Best Summer Meals!
- Tuna Mac 'n' Cheese
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Earthen Jar
- Blueberry Streusel Cake for an Artists' Reception
- Southern Fried Chicken
- Fried Potatoes with Red Pepper and Blue Cheese
- Romanesco Zucchini
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Sweetwater's Cafe
- Ricotta Cheese Pudding
- Fattoush: A Fabulous Summer Salad
- National Ice Cream Sandwich Day
- Breaking the Fast on the First Day of Ramadan
- ▼ August (23)