Friday, August 5, 2011
Frugal Floozie Friday -- Sweetwater's Cafe
On one of those wretchedly hot days we had recently, when the heat index was hovering miserably around 100F, Jeremy and I went out to get a snack. A cold - COLD - drink and a cookie ... that was the perfect antidote for the excessive kiln-like conditions outside.
We headed to Sweetwaters Cafe (there are 3 locations in town), a perfect place to feature for today's Frugal Floozie Friday.
Not only can you get the requisite coffee and tea at these sleek, modern, but always friendly cafes; but there is also a housemade ginger ale, called Ginger Fizz. And it was this - which has even been mentioned in a New York Times article on ginger ale's resurgence in popularity - that we'd specifically craved.
There is a distinct ginger flavor in the soda, but even someone I know who doesn't particularly care for the spice really loves the drink. It's vibrant and refreshing, familiar and yet so much more sophisticated than plain ol' ginger ale.
We also enjoyed cookies -- huge cookies that we really should have split, but why??? Jeremy ordered a chocolate chip cookie which he ate with great enthusiasm, while I savored a rich, crumbly peanut butter one.
There are lots of iced teas and luscious treats to be had at Sweetwaters within the Frugal Floozie Friday budget of $5 per person or less. But my favorite is absolutely the Ginger Fizz, which I cannot recommend highly enough!
Time spent with my son, a sweet, and a cold beverage on a hot, hot day ... a perfect afternoon ... :)
Frugal Floozie Friday: Food and Fun for Five Dollars or Less ... Really!!!
3393 Plymouth Road
Ann Arbor, MI 48105
View Larger Map
Ghosts of Postings Past and Present
- ► 2013 (89)
- ► 2012 (229)
- Cheese-Stuffed Italian Sausage Meatloaf
- Schrafft's Hot Fudge Sauce
- Red Beans and Rice, Because "It's Monday, Darlin'"...
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Opera on Tap at Frenchie'...
- Cucumber, Tomato and Olive Hors d'Oeuvres
- Pork 'n' Shrimp Stir Fry
- Hamburger Gravy with Mashed Redskin Potatoes
- Bratwurst with Peppers and Onions
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Mark's Carts
- Banana Nutella Cake with Coffee Glaze
- Angel Hair Pasta with Purple Basil
- Tomato Sandwiches - One of the Best Summer Meals!
- Tuna Mac 'n' Cheese
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Earthen Jar
- Blueberry Streusel Cake for an Artists' Reception
- Southern Fried Chicken
- Fried Potatoes with Red Pepper and Blue Cheese
- Romanesco Zucchini
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Sweetwater's Cafe
- Ricotta Cheese Pudding
- Fattoush: A Fabulous Summer Salad
- National Ice Cream Sandwich Day
- Breaking the Fast on the First Day of Ramadan
- ▼ August (23)