Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Pork 'n' Shrimp Stir Fry


Jeremy and his dad have gone back to the low-carb life, and have been killing their arteries with lots of eggs, cheese, bacon, burger patties, and other fat-laden indulgences.

I've tried to explain to them that they could actually reintroduce themselves to a few vegetables, perhaps focus on low-fat protein rather than the greasy stuff. Wah Wah, Wah Wah WAH Wah Wah ... to them, I just sound like the teachers in Charlie Brown cartoons!

So I promised to make dinner for them one night and prove to them that it would not be a cataclysmic catastrophe to find a piece of cabbage or a strip of pepper on their plates.

I mixed some pork, some shrimp and some sauces together in a wok, tossed in a prepared bag of cole slaw mix, and stood at the stove for maybe 10 minutes stirring everything together. And this dinner was devoured in even less time than it took to make! When I told the boys that there was a little bit extra left over, Jeremy immediately lay claim to it before his father could.

Vindication!

Pork 'n' Shrimp Stir Fry

1 tablespoon light oil
1 tablespoon sesame oil
4 drops cayenne pepper sauce
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 pound thin cut pork chops, cut into 1/2" strips
1-1/2 cups small salad shrimp
1/2 red pepper, cut into 1/2" strips
1/2 yellow pepper, cut into 1/2" strips
1/2 cup hoisin sauce
1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
1 14-ounce bag prepared cole slaw mix
4 large scallions, whites chopped fine and greens cut into 1" strips
rice, for serving

Heat the oils, pepper sauce and pepper flakes in a wok over medium-high heat. Add pork and cook until the pork is no longer pink; add the shrimp and cook for 2 minutes. Add the peppers and cook 2 minutes, until caramelizing a bit.

Combine the hoisin and teriyaki sauces; pour into the wok and coat the pork and shrimp with the sauce. Add the cole slaw mix and the whites of the scallions; stir to combine well, and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the scallion greens.

Serve over rice, if desired. Makes 2-4 servings.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Way to show them!! :)
Seriously though, this looks fantastic, how could they not devour it?? Love the idea of using the coleslaw mix.. genius!!

Leanne said...

Great great recipe idea! Love it! I decided this morning to cut sugar out . . . cold turkey. (Oh, dear. What have I gotten myself into?) I absolutely love how you threw a bunch of stuff in (especially the shrimp salad!) and let it all go to town. You are so smart, my friend!!!

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

How could they NOT devour that with all the great colors and textures going on?! It looks delicious Mary! Good for you for showing them (once again) that you don't need high fat proteins to be low carb. you can come cook low carb for me anytime :)

Candace said...

omygosh, I need to ditch the carbs so bad, Mary! This is the perfect way to do it too. I love stir fries. You know, if you prepared every meal for them, they would probably happily eat in a more healthy manner. Heck, so would I! haha I wonder how I could make that happen. hmmmmm.....


Ghosts of Postings Past and Present

Looking for Something ...?