Monday, August 8, 2011
There is a particular cooking contest that I've never entered, which encourages gargantuan burgers featuring lots of mix-ins, a sauce or two, toppings, spreads, and all sorts of other nonsense which - to my mind - detracts from the basic beauty of the burger. Good beef, a bit of seasoning, some essential condiments and a sturdy bun are all that's needed.
And so, when zucchini is in season I don't want to see it buried in breads or layered with sauces and cheeses. I love it when it's very simply prepared, letting its flavor shine.
This preparation - involving only a few minutes of sauteeing in garlic and oil, just until the zucchini caramelizes a bit - is ideal for small zucchini which are tender (rather than the overgrown ones which become fibrous).
And if you can find them at the farmers' market, the very best zucchini for this recipe are Romanesco zucchini. Any summer squash - yellow or green - will suffice. But the ridges on the Romanesco make for a beautiful, sunburst-like presentation after slicing. It's worth the hunt for this heirloom variety, I assure you!
Garlic-Sauteed Romanesco Zucchini
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 minced garlic clove
2 6" Romanesco zucchini, ends trimmed,
cut into 1/4" slices
pinch of sea salt
pinch of freshly ground black pepper
Heat oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add garlic and saute for 1 minute. Add zucchini slices in a single layer and cook 2-3 minutes per side, until golden. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, then serve.
Ghosts of Postings Past and Present
- ► 2013 (89)
- ► 2012 (229)
- Cheese-Stuffed Italian Sausage Meatloaf
- Schrafft's Hot Fudge Sauce
- Red Beans and Rice, Because "It's Monday, Darlin'"...
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Opera on Tap at Frenchie'...
- Cucumber, Tomato and Olive Hors d'Oeuvres
- Pork 'n' Shrimp Stir Fry
- Hamburger Gravy with Mashed Redskin Potatoes
- Bratwurst with Peppers and Onions
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Mark's Carts
- Banana Nutella Cake with Coffee Glaze
- Angel Hair Pasta with Purple Basil
- Tomato Sandwiches - One of the Best Summer Meals!
- Tuna Mac 'n' Cheese
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Earthen Jar
- Blueberry Streusel Cake for an Artists' Reception
- Southern Fried Chicken
- Fried Potatoes with Red Pepper and Blue Cheese
- Romanesco Zucchini
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Sweetwater's Cafe
- Ricotta Cheese Pudding
- Fattoush: A Fabulous Summer Salad
- National Ice Cream Sandwich Day
- Breaking the Fast on the First Day of Ramadan
- ▼ August (23)