Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Schrafft's Hot Fudge Sauce


Every once in awhile, I would have half-days at school. Sometimes I'd just come home on the bus, eat my peanut butter and jelly sandwich, and watch "As the World Turns" or "The Galloping Gourmet" with my mother.

But on other occasions, she would pick me up and we would spend part of the afternoon together. My mother's health was quite fragile and she often wasn't well, so the half-days when she would meet me at school were special. She would sometimes take me out to lunch at Schrafft's.

Schrafft's, according to NYCnosh.com, was an institution:

"... at its peak, there were more than fifty Schrafft’s in New York City, offering three full-service meals a day, drinks, and desserts in well-appointed and obsessively clean dining rooms. Schrafft’s occupied a territory somewhere between a diner and moderately-priced American restaurant ...."

Another site, remembering New York City in 1946, states that:

"The image Schrafft's sought to project was of a genteel place that served 'plain, clean, wholesome American cooking,' in the words of Frank Shattuck who had started the company's restaurant business .... Many Schrafft's had dark wood paneling and Colonial furniture. There were bud vases on the tables."

Because the company had originated as a candy manufacturer before branching out into restaurants, Schrafft's is most famous for its desserts ... and one sweet treat in particular: hot fudge sundaes.

The recipe for the rich, dark chocolate sauce is easily found online and in cookbooks - no one ever said it was a secret recipe!

Someone who shall remain nameless (for the sake of protection) has told me that this hot fudge sauce is even better than Sanders' ... gasp! This from someone born in Detroit and raised in Southeast Michigan!

My grandmother would come to visit us in New York and bring jars of Sanders' milk chocolate hot fudge, which I adore. But I've gotta say, the Schrafft's recipe is pretty lusciously indulgent, too.

You might just want to try this and see how they compare ....

Schrafft's Hot Fudge Sauce
(slightly modified from the original version)

3 tablespoons cocoa powder
1/4 cup sugar
2/3 cup skim milk
1/4 cup half-and-half
2/3 cup corn syrup
2 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
1 tablespoon butter
1/4 teaspoon vinegar

Place all ingredients into a medium saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally; boil for 7 minutes, stirring once or twice, then let rest 30 minutes before serving.

Makes 1-1/4 cups of sauce.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I could totally dive into a pool of that!! Good gravy, girl, I could make myself sick eating it.. seriously, I don't think I could stop myself!! lol

Leanne said...

I feel like I've died and gone to heaven. Well, maybe it would be heaven if I could actually TASTE the hot fudge this very second. Since I can't, maybe I'm someplace else.;). LOVE this recipe . . . I'll be trying it out soon!!!

Anonymous said...

No wonder it tastes so good - look at the ingredients! I can think of many deserts I'd like to top off with this hot fudge, including cream puffs. Thanks for the recipe.

Miriam said...

What "sweet," memories! Love that sauce :), Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

Candace said...

I have never attempted to make hot fudge sauce before. That looks amazing. I'm thinking that I wouldn't even need ice cream if I had a pot of that today. I think I could just grab a spoon and a pot holder and have a field day. I really enjoyed reading the memories of your mother. You transported me back there with you. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, all I need is a day off to try this hot fudge. Every last drop of it. sigh.
Hey ... would like a recipe for pioneer potato candy? (looks like a high end opera cream, makes up in a jif!)
Wonderful site sister!


Ghosts of Postings Past and Present

Looking for Something ...?