Friday, August 26, 2011
Frugal Floozie Friday -- Opera on Tap at Frenchie's
Opera on Tap is a fabulous event held at Frenchie's, next door to the Sidetrack Bar and Grill, on the first Tuesday of each month. I happen to love opera, and everyone knows I love to eat! Food and fun are both found here!
That you can also find your food and fun at Opera on Tap for $5 or less person ... well, that qualifies it to be this week's Frugal Floozie Friday feature.
Rather than being a stodgy affair, this is a most entertaining evening for which attendees must make reservations. (Call 734-483-5230 to leave your name and the number of people in your group. I don't know how bookings are for September 6, but try anyway in case they can fit you in.) There is no charge - just pay for your food and drinks, and leave a generous tip for your server.
Tom and I meandered into the August session a bit late, so we unfortunately missed any introductions there may have been. My understanding is that Opera on Tap features local singers, music students, and enthusiasts, all of whom performed with exceptional talent.
Everything from the most passionate Italian arias to the beautiful "Summertime" from Porgy and Bess was performed - some melodrama, some humor, and great variety. The singing was so profoundly moving that I can truly say tears came to my eyes at one point. And yet, two of the singers also took turns wearing Brunhilde-worthy horns and schmoozing with the audience while drinking beer between songs. A good time was had by all!
Now, this describes the "fun" portion of the evening. What about the food???
That came in the form of carrot cake - the triple-layered vision of loveliness pictured above, available for ordering from the Sidetrack menu.
Prepared by the amazing pastry chef Bryant Stuckey, of Decadent Delight, the cake is moist, dense, rich, spicy, and topped with a crowning glory of smooth, sweet, luscious cream cheese frosting ... sigh. One could easily relish this in utter selfishness, not sharing so much as a crumb; but it's so luscious that really, you want to share your bliss by having someone you love join you.
At $5.50 per slice, splitting dessert not only saves you calories but money as well. Order a cup of tea to complement it, and you're still within our Frugal Floozie Friday limit of $5 per person. There are also lots of other appetizers and desserts to enjoy on your own or to split with friends and family, all within our restrictive budget.
So immerse yourself in music and treats, delights to all your senses. Opera on Tap offers a fabulous evening of food and fun!
Frenchie's/Sidetrack Bar and Grill
56 E. Cross St.
Ypsilanti, MI 48197
View Larger Map
Ghosts of Postings Past and Present
- ► 2014 (18)
- ► 2013 (88)
- ► 2012 (229)
- Cheese-Stuffed Italian Sausage Meatloaf
- Schrafft's Hot Fudge Sauce
- Red Beans and Rice, Because "It's Monday, Darlin'"...
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Opera on Tap at Frenchie'...
- Cucumber, Tomato and Olive Hors d'Oeuvres
- Pork 'n' Shrimp Stir Fry
- Hamburger Gravy with Mashed Redskin Potatoes
- Bratwurst with Peppers and Onions
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Mark's Carts
- Banana Nutella Cake with Coffee Glaze
- Angel Hair Pasta with Purple Basil
- Tomato Sandwiches - One of the Best Summer Meals!
- Tuna Mac 'n' Cheese
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Earthen Jar
- Blueberry Streusel Cake for an Artists' Reception
- Southern Fried Chicken
- Fried Potatoes with Red Pepper and Blue Cheese
- Romanesco Zucchini
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Sweetwater's Cafe
- Ricotta Cheese Pudding
- Fattoush: A Fabulous Summer Salad
- National Ice Cream Sandwich Day
- Breaking the Fast on the First Day of Ramadan
- ▼ August (23)