Wednesday, August 29, 2012
Baked Tomatoes with Lemon-Matzah Crumbs (a2.com)
Jeremy and his dad have many tomato plants in their back yard, so they've been generous in sharing the bounty with me. And my friend Rebecca had given me some whole wheat matzah, knowing I would find a good use for it since I cook so often.
Matzah - it isn't just for Passover anymore! It worked beautifully in this recipe, ground to make a lovely topping for baked tomatoes. The whole wheat variety offers not only more nutrition than standard matzah, but also a lovely toasted, nutty flavor.
I also added some ground lemon pizzelle cookies, though any simple lemon cookie (with no icing) would work equally well. Their sweetness, combined with fresh lemon zest, definitely added brightness to the dish.
Served as a side dish, these baked tomatoes would complement virtually any entree. But they even made a fabulous light lunch, along with a salad. They could be chopped and served over pasta, or stuffed into a sandwich.
Simple to make, fabulous to eat!
Baked Tomatoes with Lemon-Matzah Crumbs
6 ripe medium-sized tomatoes, halved
kosher salt and pepper, to taste
1 square whole wheat matzah, ground
1/4 cup lemon cookie crumbs
finely grated zest of 1 lemon
few springs of fresh parsley, chopped
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Preheat oven to 400F. Place tomatoes into a 9" glass pie pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
In a small bowl, combine matzah and cookie crumbs, lemon zest, and parsley; sprinkle over tomatoes. Drizzle oil over the top.
Bake for 30 minutes, until tomatoes are softened and topping is golden. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Serves 6 as a side dish.
Ghosts of Postings Past and Present
- ► 2014 (18)
- ► 2013 (88)
- Frugal Floozie Friday - Palio
- Julia Child's Best Brownies
- Baked Tomatoes with Lemon-Matzah Crumbs (a2.com)
- Wordless Wednesday - Friendship ... :)
- Grilled Bacon, Parmesan, and Fig Sandwich
- Frugal Floozie Friday - Fat Philly's & Burgers
- Sander's Cream Puff Sundae
- Wordless Wednesday - More Amusement at the Thrift ...
- Guest Post: Spicy Lamb Sausage with Beans
- Frugal Floozie Friday - Red Rock Downtown Barbecue
- Julia Child Week: Mustard-Herb Baked Chicken
- Julia Child's 100th Birthday Picnic
- Julia Child Week: Onion Tart with Anchovies and Bl...
- Frugal Floozie Friday - Mark's Carts, The Sequel
- Brown Rice Pudding with Cherries
- Wordless Wednesday: Fruit Loops and Cheerios
- "Tribute to Michigan" Cherry Blueberry Pie
- Frugal Floozie Friday - Mani Osteria
- Blueberry Bread Pudding
- Wordless Wednesday: "Still Life with Pear"
- ▼ August (20)
- ► 2011 (258)