Friday, April 5, 2013

Frugal Floozie Friday - Taco King


Before heading off on a thrift shopping excursion, Craig and I stopped by Taco King to enjoy a quick lunch. There are a lot of items on the menu that meet our mandatory budget of $5 per person, and the portions are generous. We also ran into my friend Jen, whom I hadn't seen in ages, and her husband David. So stopping by this taqueria was a really nice way to start our afternoon.

You can order tacos for $1.75 each, or a Taco Supreme for $2. A quesadilla - "12 inch flour tortilla, with your choice of meat. Served with sour cream & lettuce" - or a vegetarian Chile Relleno cost an even $5. A tostada can be enjoyed for $3.50, and tamales will only set you back $2.50 (Central American style, wrapped in a banana leaf) or $2 (Mexican style, wrapped in a corn husk). The filling selections range from vegetarian to steak, tripe, chicken, several varieties of pork, beef tongue, chorizo, fish, and lamb ... a lot of choices!

I ordered the Daily Special, pictured above, which very helpfully made my decision-making process much easier. For $4.99, you can choose either two tacos, two tamales, or one of each; you can choose black or pinto beans; and you can choose the fillings for your tacos and/or tamales. I was told that only vegetarian tamales were available at the time we stopped by, and then I chose chicken for my taco filling

The taco was served with two tortillas, so I split the generous filling among them to essentially find myself with two tacos in addition to my tamal. I was unable to finish all of this, and invited Craig to share with me. He had ordered a vegetarian burrito, which was enormous, for $5.50. If you're willing to creep just a tad over our Frugal Floozie Friday budget, it's a great value.

Taco King is located at a counter in a Latin market, so you can also shop for goodies to take home - ready-made or ingredients to cook with - once you're done with lunch or dinner. And there are also freezers with ice cream treats, so dessert is available, too.

For fast, friendly service and a hearty meal, stop by Taco King.


Taco King
2231 West Liberty Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48103
Monday - Sunday: 10 a.m. - 9 p.m.



View Larger Map


Taco King on Urbanspoon

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I've notice lately, that more and more taco shops are opening up down here.. and you can definitely get a lot for the mandatory $5 :) Yum!!!

Candace said...

It's is ALWAYS time for a taco, if you ask me. They are truly the best deals around too. That one looks soooo good! Add this place to list of ones I absolutely MUST try when I get there. :)

Robin said...

That looks good. I love Mexican, but I loathe the infamous Taco Bell. Hahahaha.

Chris said...

We have a tiny independent taco joint that opened up near our office a month or two ago and this has inspired me to give them a try tomorrow.


Ghosts of Postings Past and Present

Looking for Something ...?