Monday, June 4, 2012

Chicken 'n' Chard


Well, I've spent the past week or so cooking, baking, writing, researching, and getting together with family and friends - none of that is news.  But I've also been practicing with my new-to-me grill ... whee!  I've grilled vegetables, pork chops, the requisite hot dogs, and even sandwiches (which will make their debut in tomorrow's post).  And I also grilled some chicken.

But I didn't just slather the chicken in barbecue sauce ... nope.  The meal pictured above represents bounty from the Dixboro Farmers' Market, which I love going to after work on Fridays.  I can schmooze with friends and vendors, eat fabulous treats, and buy lots of goodies to then transform into wonderful dishes throughout the weekend.

I prepared the Swiss chard from Ferris Farm very simply, sauteing it along with a minced garlic scape from my friends Dick and Diana Dyer at Dick's Pretty Good Garlic.  I used a Lotus scape, which "retains some heat baked."

Then I grilled (from left to right) one last stalk of green garlic left over from the previous week's market purchases; some more scapes (Shantung Purple, "For those who like hot garlic," and Shandong, which "Maintains good garlic flavor baked"); and an enormous Spring onion (2.5' long from root to flower).  I cooked them just until they were tender and slightly charred.



I threw the grilled vegetables into the blender along with some extra-virgin olive oil and lemon juice, and prepared a fabulously fragrant marinade.  Then, after letting the chicken soak up the amazing garlic-onion mixture overnight, I grilled the chicken, too.  It was tender, moist, and tremendously flavorful; each bite was infused with the lovely marinade.

The chicken was perfect just served straight from the grill; it would be exceptional in a salad, in pasta, or in a sandwich, too.

It's such fun to be getting the hang of grilling again, after being without a grill for several years!

Grilled Garlic-Onion Marinated Chicken

2 garlic scapes
1 long stalk Spring onion, cut into 10" pieces, white part halved lengthwise
1 stalk green garlic, ends trimmed
1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons lemon juice
6 skinless, boneless chicken breasts

Preheat grill to medium-low.

Place garlic scapes, onion, and garlic onto grill; cook, turning frequently, until vegetables are tender and  slightly charred.

Chop vegetables, then place into a blender; add oil, salt, pepper, and lemon juice; puree.

Place chicken into a gallon-sized freezer baggie, and pour marinade over it; seal well and refrigerate overnight.

When ready to prepare chicken, preheat grill to medium-low.  Remove chicken from marinade and place on grill; cook 12-15 minutes per side, until firm.

Serves 6-8.

3 comments:

Cranberry Morning said...

I think I better jump on this grilling bandwagon! This looks fabulous. And the thought of hot garlic intrigues me. I can see I need to expand my culinary repertoire!

Unknown said...

Ooohh.. that looks and sounds so wonderful, Mary! And I love that you grilled everything!!

Candace said...

Grilled food is just the best, in my humble opinion. This looks absolutely fantastic, Mary. I absolutely cannot wait to find some garlic scapes here this year. I believe you were the one that turned me onto them. I had never had them before last season. If only I could get my hands on some of that hot garlic. I think that needs to be in my life pronto!


Ghosts of Postings Past and Present

Looking for Something ...?