Friday, June 22, 2012
Frugal Floozie Friday at Bella Italia Pizza and Pasta
A perfect slice - that's what you'll get at Bella Italia Pizza and Pasta, today's Frugal Floozie Friday feature. I grew up in New York City eating fabulous pizza. I expect a certain cheese blend, a sauce with flavor and zest (and just enough sauce, rather than gobs of it), a crisp crust, and the ability to fold my slice without it drooping. This pizza was perfect!
My friend Jesse Bernstein had recommended Bella Italia to me with such devotion that I simply had to visit:
"The owners are a young couple who have perfected and replicated the Dandy Pizza experience precisely. Dandy's was a pizzeria on Whitney Avenue run by a Sicilian family who spoke no English, but knew what you were ordering. My sister said she has been searching for 40 years to find the taste and here it was in Ann Arbor. This was confirmed by another neighborhood resident who now lives here and confirmed our assessment."
Ah, taste memory - that oh, so elusive and indefinable entity that is rarely satisfied!
Well, let me chime in that the pizza was just like what I remembered eating years ago, as well. That it perfectly fit our mandatory frugal budget of $5 per person - the 16" pizza with one topping was $14.50, making it perfect for my party of three - only made it better.
Jim Millan who owns the restaurant with his wife, Katie. And it offers lots of great deals that meet our Frugal Floozie Friday budget. There are even lunch specials for less than $4 - a 10" pizza with one topping, lovely pasta dishes, a rich tiramisu - each a very generous portion.
You can buy two slices of pizza for $5 or less if you pick cheese and/or pepperoni; a slice of a specialty pizza costs $3. Half salads (Caesar, Garden or Greek) cost just under $5. And the calzone, stromboli, and hot subs are a great deal - ranging in price from $7.75-$9.75 and easily split with a loved one to meet the mandatory budget constraints without anyone going hungry.
If you fancy yourself a competitive eater, you could either eat for free or earn yourself a share of $200 - even better deals than $5 per person!
If three people can finish a 30" pizza - with any toppings from cheese to an abundance of goodies - you can get it for free if you can eat the entire thing in 30 minutes or less. Or, if you think you and just one partner can polish off the 30" Meat Lovers' pizza - topped with several pounds of sausage, pepperoni, bacon, and ham - within 60 minutes, you'll win yourselves $200.
As we ate dinner with Motown classics playing in the background, it was a perfect warm Spring evening. We had a great time at Bella Italia for a very reasonable price, and look forward to eating there again.
Bella Italia Pizza and Pasta
895 Eisenhower Pkwy. (in the Colonnade)
Ann Arbor, MI 48103
Monday - Thursday: 11 a.m. - 10 p.m.
Friday: 11 a.m. - 11 p.m.
Saturday: 12 - 11 p.m.
Sunday: 4 - 10 p.m.
View Larger Map
Ghosts of Postings Past and Present
- ► 2013 (89)
- Frugal Floozie Friday - The Songbird Cafe
- Pizzella S'mores and Strawberry Rhubarb Streusel B...
- Greens 'n' Grains Salad with Fresh Blackberries
- Grilled Chicken with Spiced Blueberry BBQ Sauce
- Sweet-Tart Grilled Strawberries and So Much More a...
- Frugal Floozie Friday at Bella Italia Pizza and Pa...
- Hungarian Sour Cream Cookies
- Moroccan Spiced Carrots
- Mongolian Tartar-Style Steaks
- Italian Baked Rice for International Picnic Day
- Frugal Floozie Friday - Roger Monk's Yappy Hour
- Strawberry Orange Daiquiri
- Wordless Wednesday: Cute Buttons
- BRU Fest - Come Join Me!
- Drambuie Butterscotch Sauce
- Frugal Floozie Friday - Five Guys Burgers and Frie...
- Schmoozing, Noshing, and Kibbitzing at entre-SLAM
- Baconfest Michigan - Swooning Over Swine
- A Grilled Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Chicken 'n' Chard
- Frugal Floozie Friday - Wolverine Grill
- ▼ June (21)
- ► 2011 (259)