Tuesday, June 5, 2012
A Grilled Grilled Cheese Sandwich
On National Cheese Day, it would be very easy to celebrate with a beautiful cheese plate and some complementary fruits or olives. But why not have a bit more fun? Why not do something slightly more whimsical?
And so, I thought of everyone's favorite way to enjoy cheese - a grilled cheese sandwich. But why cook it in a frying pan on the stove if I could actually grill it on my new-to-me grill?
Thus, I offer a grilled grilled cheese sandwich!
The slight bit of charring offers a smoky taste to perfectly accent the toastiness and creaminess of this treat. A nice summery accompaniment would be a twist on the standard and classic tomato soup - a bright, vibrant gazpacho. Variations on the theme, my friends!
I apologize for the vagueness of the recipe, as in "sprinkles" of pepper and "schmears" of mustard and butter. But all I did was stick a knife into the jar and into the dish, respectively, and so I don't have exact measurements. It seemed awfully fussy to haul out measuring cups and spoons just to say "spread some mustard on the bread."
For a change of pace, instead of grilling chicken or burgers, try something a little different!
Grilled Grilled Cheese Sandwich
8 slices rye bread
schmears of brown mustard
6 ounces Swiss cheese, grated
sprinkles of freshly ground black pepper
schmears of butter
Lay the slices of rye onto a countertop. Schmear the top side of each with brown mustard.
Divide the grated Swiss cheese among 4 slices of bread, then sprinkle with a bit of pepper; top with the remaining slices of bread, mustard-side down. Spread butter on both sides of each sandwich.
Preheat grill to medium-low. Place the sandwiches away from direct heat and grill for 3 minutes or so until toasted but not charred. Flip the sandwiches over and cook 2-3 minutes until toasted but not charred. Remove sandwiches from heat and cut into halves.
Makes 4 sandwiches.
Ghosts of Postings Past and Present
- Frugal Floozie Friday - The Songbird Cafe
- Pizzella S'mores and Strawberry Rhubarb Streusel B...
- Greens 'n' Grains Salad with Fresh Blackberries
- Grilled Chicken with Spiced Blueberry BBQ Sauce
- Sweet-Tart Grilled Strawberries and So Much More a...
- Frugal Floozie Friday at Bella Italia Pizza and Pa...
- Hungarian Sour Cream Cookies
- Moroccan Spiced Carrots
- Mongolian Tartar-Style Steaks
- Italian Baked Rice for International Picnic Day
- Frugal Floozie Friday - Roger Monk's Yappy Hour
- Strawberry Orange Daiquiri
- Wordless Wednesday: Cute Buttons
- BRU Fest - Come Join Me!
- Drambuie Butterscotch Sauce
- Frugal Floozie Friday - Five Guys Burgers and Frie...
- Schmoozing, Noshing, and Kibbitzing at entre-SLAM
- Baconfest Michigan - Swooning Over Swine
- A Grilled Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Chicken 'n' Chard
- Frugal Floozie Friday - Wolverine Grill
- ▼ June (21)
- ► 2011 (259)