Tuesday, June 5, 2012

A Grilled Grilled Cheese Sandwich


On National Cheese Day, it would be very easy to celebrate with a beautiful cheese plate and some complementary fruits or olives.  But why not have a bit more fun?  Why not do something slightly more whimsical?

And so, I thought of everyone's favorite way to enjoy cheese - a grilled cheese sandwich.  But why cook it in a frying pan on the stove if I could actually grill it on my new-to-me grill?

Thus, I offer a grilled grilled cheese sandwich!

The slight bit of charring offers a smoky taste to perfectly accent the toastiness and creaminess of this treat.  A nice summery accompaniment would be a twist on the standard and classic tomato soup - a bright, vibrant gazpacho.  Variations on the theme, my friends!

I apologize for the vagueness of the recipe, as in "sprinkles" of pepper and "schmears" of mustard and butter.  But all I did was stick a knife into the jar and into the dish, respectively, and so I don't have exact measurements.  It seemed awfully fussy to haul out measuring cups and spoons just to say "spread some mustard on the bread."

For a change of pace, instead of grilling chicken or burgers, try something a little different!

Grilled Grilled Cheese Sandwich

8 slices rye bread
schmears of brown mustard
6 ounces Swiss cheese, grated
sprinkles of freshly ground black pepper
schmears of butter

Lay the slices of rye onto a countertop.  Schmear the top side of each with brown mustard.

Divide the grated Swiss cheese among 4 slices of bread, then sprinkle with a bit of pepper; top with the remaining slices of bread, mustard-side down.  Spread butter on both sides of each sandwich.

Preheat grill to medium-low.  Place the sandwiches away from direct heat and grill for 3 minutes or so until toasted but not charred.  Flip the sandwiches over and cook 2-3 minutes until toasted but not charred.  Remove sandwiches from heat and cut into halves.

Makes 4 sandwiches.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I love that you are getting out there on the grill girl! And I love making grilled cheese on the actual grill - it's how they truly were meant to be made :)

Debra Hawkins said...

This sounds amazing! I am still wary of the grill, but man this looks amazing!

Chris said...

Is that a metric schmear or US schmear? ;)

I need to make some grilled cheese on the griddle on my grill. Great idea.


Ghosts of Postings Past and Present

Looking for Something ...?