Thursday, June 21, 2012

Hungarian Sour Cream Cookies


These tender, delightful cookies are surprisingly addictive; I found myself eating a couple ... then grabbing just one more ... then sneaking another one.

Sometimes you want a cookie with all the chocolate, nuts, caramel, and other goodies that you can cram into the dough.  Other times, simplicity rules the day.  And the rich flavor of these seemingly plain cookies definitely shines.

These are perfect for picnics, barbecues, afternoon tea, or any other occasion you can think of ... especially "just because" ....


Hungarian Sour Cream Cookies
(slightly adapted from a recipe in The World of Jewish Entertaining by Gil Marks)

1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
2/3 cup sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2-1/2 cups self-rising flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder

Preheat oven to 350F.

In a large bowl, combine butter and sugar; stir in egg, sour cream and vanilla extract.  Stir in flour and baking powder.

Form the dough into 1" balls and place 2" apart on an ungreased baking sheet.  Bake for 10 minutes until cookies are set but still very pale.  Remove to a rack and cool completely.

Makes about 52 cookies.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Ok, those look and sound so good, I could almost forget about cookies with chocolate in them! I bet the sour cream adds a bit of flavor and moisture to these luscious little bites!

Debra Hawkins said...

Those look delicious! My brother lived in Hungary for two years and so I find myself always wanting to try anything that says it is Hungarian. :)

Bibi @ Bibi's Culinary Journey said...

I love simple cookies....less ingredients better. These remind me of the cookies my grandma used to make...sure brings back lot of memories....thank you, Mary :)

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Ooh these sound delightfully simple and good! I want to make them then smother them in fresh macerated berries - kinda like a shortcake. Thinking I'm going to have to do that this afternoon!

Candace said...

I'm thinking a couple of these with a cup of coffee for breakfast in the morning would be perfect!

Debra Kapellakis said...

They look good like they will melt in my mouth, mmmmm...


Ghosts of Postings Past and Present

Looking for Something ...?