Friday, June 29, 2012
Frugal Floozie Friday - The Songbird Cafe
The Songbird Cafe is the newest addition to the dining options on the northeast side of town, and so it's today's Frugal Floozie Friday feature in order to let everyone know that it's open for business and ready to welcome you.
Ann Arbor native Jenny Song and her mother, Youn, have opened this spot that is great whether you want to grab a quick coffee and cake to go or linger for awhile over a latte and lunch. (A greater variety of food options will be available imminently. But there are so many other treats that it's absolutely worth an initial visit before going back again once the salad bar, sandwiches, and weekend brunch come along.)
The Hummingbird Cake pictured above - a Southern classic, and a very generous portion for $4 - is a rich, moist banana-walnut cake with a luscious, buttery, cream cheese frosting. This and other baked goods, such as scones and cookies, are provided by the People's Food Co-Op, letting you support two local businesses at once when you cater to your sweet tooth.
I had heard the Samoa latte calling to me ever since the Cafe had posted about its "caramel, coconut, cocoa goodness" on Facebook a few days before my first visit. (And let me personally thank Taylor, one of the Songbird's "talented baristas," for creating this treat.) It was the liquid essence of my second-favorite Girl Scout cookie since, as we all know, Thin Mints reign supreme. This was creamy and definitely showcased the key flavors - a luxurious indulgence at $4.35.
All of the pastries, teas, coffees, juices, sodas, and specialty drinks fall within our mandatory frugal budget of $5 or less per person, ranging in price from $1.50 to $4.60. There are unique and intriguing lattes, from the seductive Nutella-flavored one to the Cardamom Rose and the Fig Vanilla Black Pepper varieties. There is also a Tangerine Lavender Hot Cocoa ... something to look forward to when cold weather returns to Michigan (and sadly, we all know it will).
Visit The Songbird Cafe and say "hi." With lots of light, it's very cheerful; with wood furniture, it offers warmth. And with great food and drink offerings, served by smiling staff, it'd be a lovely place to become a regular.
The Songbird Cafe
2707 Plymouth Rd.
Ann Arbor, MI 48105
Monday: 7:30 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Tuesday - Friday: 7:30 a.m. - 10 p.m.
Saturday: 8 a.m. - 10 p.m.
Sunday: 8 a.m. - 6 p.m.
View Larger Map
Ghosts of Postings Past and Present
- ► 2014 (17)
- ► 2013 (89)
- Frugal Floozie Friday - The Songbird Cafe
- Pizzella S'mores and Strawberry Rhubarb Streusel B...
- Greens 'n' Grains Salad with Fresh Blackberries
- Grilled Chicken with Spiced Blueberry BBQ Sauce
- Sweet-Tart Grilled Strawberries and So Much More a...
- Frugal Floozie Friday at Bella Italia Pizza and Pa...
- Hungarian Sour Cream Cookies
- Moroccan Spiced Carrots
- Mongolian Tartar-Style Steaks
- Italian Baked Rice for International Picnic Day
- Frugal Floozie Friday - Roger Monk's Yappy Hour
- Strawberry Orange Daiquiri
- Wordless Wednesday: Cute Buttons
- BRU Fest - Come Join Me!
- Drambuie Butterscotch Sauce
- Frugal Floozie Friday - Five Guys Burgers and Frie...
- Schmoozing, Noshing, and Kibbitzing at entre-SLAM
- Baconfest Michigan - Swooning Over Swine
- A Grilled Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Chicken 'n' Chard
- Frugal Floozie Friday - Wolverine Grill
- ▼ June (21)
- ► 2011 (259)