Tuesday, June 26, 2012
Grilled Chicken with Spiced Blueberry BBQ Sauce
Chicken is particularly well-suited to serve with fruit, so it only seemed natural that my Berry Fest should feature some poultry complemented by a sweet sauce. But not too sweet - it should have some zest.
So I took my basic homemade barbecue sauce, which is universally loved and has a fabulous flavor, and cooked some blueberries in it to enhance it. Brushed onto chicken as it grilled, to set the sauce and caramelize it a bit, this entree was an ideal summer food!
This grilled chicken was fork-tender, sweet, spicy ... perfection!
Blackberry-Fig Marinated Grilled Chicken with Spiced Blueberry BBQ Sauce
5 pounds Pine Manor Farms free-to-roam Amish chicken thighs with skin
1 cup Bella's organic blackberry & fig balsamic dressing
Place chicken into 2 gallon-size freezer baggies; pour 1/2 cup marinade into each baggie. Seal tightly, turn to coat chicken, and refrigerate overnight.
2/3 cup organic blueberries
1/4 cup water
1 12-ounce bottle chili sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons Whole Foods 365 brand organic honey mustard
splash of cayenne pepper sauce
Bring blueberries and water to a boil over medium heat in a medium saucepan; cook 4 minutes, stirring frequently and mashing the berries. Add remaining ingredients and bring just to a boil; simmer 5 minutes, then remove from heat.
Preheat grill to medium-high. Remove chicken from marinade and drain, then place onto grill. Cook for 8 minutes per side. Baste with sauce, cook 5 more minutes. Turn chicken over, baste with sauce, cook 5 more minutes or until firm.
(Note: Whole Foods Market very graciously provided me with a gift card to help purchase supplies.)
Ghosts of Postings Past and Present
- ► 2014 (18)
- ► 2013 (88)
- Frugal Floozie Friday - The Songbird Cafe
- Pizzella S'mores and Strawberry Rhubarb Streusel B...
- Greens 'n' Grains Salad with Fresh Blackberries
- Grilled Chicken with Spiced Blueberry BBQ Sauce
- Sweet-Tart Grilled Strawberries and So Much More a...
- Frugal Floozie Friday at Bella Italia Pizza and Pa...
- Hungarian Sour Cream Cookies
- Moroccan Spiced Carrots
- Mongolian Tartar-Style Steaks
- Italian Baked Rice for International Picnic Day
- Frugal Floozie Friday - Roger Monk's Yappy Hour
- Strawberry Orange Daiquiri
- Wordless Wednesday: Cute Buttons
- BRU Fest - Come Join Me!
- Drambuie Butterscotch Sauce
- Frugal Floozie Friday - Five Guys Burgers and Frie...
- Schmoozing, Noshing, and Kibbitzing at entre-SLAM
- Baconfest Michigan - Swooning Over Swine
- A Grilled Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Chicken 'n' Chard
- Frugal Floozie Friday - Wolverine Grill
- ▼ June (21)
- ► 2011 (259)