Monday, June 11, 2012

Drambuie Butterscotch Sauce



I made a simple but rich sauce recently, because I wanted something more enticing than just plain ol' ice cream.  Since it wasn't accompanying anything - cake, pie, etc. - the ice cream needed a little bit of dressing up.

I didn't have any chocolate in the house, for some inconceivable reason; but I was in the mood for a change from that routine anyway.  Butterscotch was calling to me ... fairly loudly, too.  I had brown sugar, butter, vanilla, and half-and-half.  I even had corn syrup - not an ingredient I want in my peanut butter or any other of the myriad foods it sneaks into, but one which contributes to the right consistency in this recipe.  I was all set.

And then I had a flash of brilliance: Drambuie, a liqueur made with whiskey, honey, and spices.  A little splash of Drambuie would make this such a sophisticated treat!

Put the ingredients in a saucepan, boil, chill - that's it!  So this sauce is ideal if you get short notice about company coming over, or if you just have a craving for something a little special.

This sauce didn't even need the ice cream ... just a spoon is all that's required.

Drambuie Butterscotch Sauce

  • 2/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup light corn syrup
  • 1/4 cup Drambuie
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/4 cup half-and-half

Bring sugar, corn syrup, and Drambuie to a boil over medium-high heat in a small saucepan; stir constantly and cook for 5 minutes; mixture will foam up.  Remove from heat, then stir in butter and vanilla.  Stir in half-and-half; mixture will clump a bit, then everything will combine and smooth out.

Place into a jar, cover, and refrigerate until cold; the sauce will thicken.  Can be warmed up slightly to serve over ice cream, cake, fruit ... whatever strikes your fancy.

Makes about 1 cup.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Oooohh.. it look perfect! I would have never thought to put Drambuie in with butterscotch! YUM!

Mary Sullivan Frasier said...

Oh, My! Now that's a sauce right after my own heart. I believe you've created the ultimate ice cream topping! I've been a Drambuie fan for years and it's pretty rare these days, to hear it being mentioned. It's always been my "go to" after dinner drink.(On the rocks, if you please) And now you've gone and put it in a sauce, with brown sugar and butter??? Well Miss Mary... I'd say that this is just further evidence that we were separated at birth. LOL I'm definitely picking up some vanilla ice cream on my next trip to the grocery store. I might not even wait til after dinner! :~) XOXO

Cranberry Morning said...

Yeah, I was going to say, 'Do we really have to have the ice cream?' lol That sounds perfect.

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

This is a delicious change from chocolate.

Hopping over from the Christmas in July blog hop - #57.

Fondly,
Glenda

Mary Sullivan Frasier said...

Well... You already know that this is one of my favorites. I was hoping you'd link it up! I can just imagine it... After helping Santa and his elves get their treasures set out, what a perfectly luscious Christmas Eve present to yourself! (sigh)


Ghosts of Postings Past and Present

Looking for Something ...?