Wednesday, June 20, 2012
Moroccan Spiced Carrots
I love Moroccan food, with its vibrant and exotic flavors. It doesn't have to be complicated to prepare, even if traditional recipes might require special equipment or long cooking; techniques can be adapted and modernized.
But this gorgeous, simple recipe requires nothing fancy or expensive. And it rewards you with a slightly spicy tingle complementing the sweetness of the carrots, and the ease of being able to serve it at any temperature - it can therefore be prepared right before serving or well ahead of time, whatever suits your schedule.
These spiced carrots can accompany virtually any dish, and are perfect for a picnic or a barbecue. Try them! Who knew plain ol' carrots could be so easily transformed into something so delicious?
Moroccan Spiced Carrots
(slightly adapted from a recipe in The International Kosher Cookbook by The 92nd Street Y Cooking School)
1/2 pound carrots, peeled, cut into 1/2" slices
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/8 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 tablespoon smoked paprika
1/4 teaspoon cumin seed
generous pinch of kosher salt
generous pinch of red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon snipped fresh parsley
Place carrots in a medium saucepan and cover generously with water. Bring to a boil, then cook for 10-15 minutes until tender; drain.
Combine the remaining ingredients in a medium bowl; add the carrots, stir to coat. Serve warm, at room temperature, or chilled.
Serves 4-6 as a side dish.
Ghosts of Postings Past and Present
- ► 2013 (89)
- Frugal Floozie Friday - The Songbird Cafe
- Pizzella S'mores and Strawberry Rhubarb Streusel B...
- Greens 'n' Grains Salad with Fresh Blackberries
- Grilled Chicken with Spiced Blueberry BBQ Sauce
- Sweet-Tart Grilled Strawberries and So Much More a...
- Frugal Floozie Friday at Bella Italia Pizza and Pa...
- Hungarian Sour Cream Cookies
- Moroccan Spiced Carrots
- Mongolian Tartar-Style Steaks
- Italian Baked Rice for International Picnic Day
- Frugal Floozie Friday - Roger Monk's Yappy Hour
- Strawberry Orange Daiquiri
- Wordless Wednesday: Cute Buttons
- BRU Fest - Come Join Me!
- Drambuie Butterscotch Sauce
- Frugal Floozie Friday - Five Guys Burgers and Frie...
- Schmoozing, Noshing, and Kibbitzing at entre-SLAM
- Baconfest Michigan - Swooning Over Swine
- A Grilled Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Chicken 'n' Chard
- Frugal Floozie Friday - Wolverine Grill
- ▼ June (21)
- ► 2011 (259)