Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Moroccan Spiced Carrots


I love Moroccan food, with its vibrant and exotic flavors.  It doesn't have to be complicated to prepare, even if traditional recipes might require special equipment or long cooking; techniques can be adapted and modernized.

But this gorgeous, simple recipe requires nothing fancy or expensive.  And it rewards you with a slightly spicy tingle complementing the sweetness of the carrots, and the ease of being able to serve it at any temperature - it can therefore be prepared right before serving or well ahead of time, whatever suits your schedule.

These spiced carrots can accompany virtually any dish, and are perfect for a picnic or a barbecue.  Try them!  Who knew plain ol' carrots could be so easily transformed into something so delicious?


Moroccan Spiced Carrots
(slightly adapted from a recipe in The International Kosher Cookbook by The 92nd Street Y Cooking School)

1/2 pound carrots, peeled, cut into 1/2" slices
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/8 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 tablespoon smoked paprika
1/4 teaspoon cumin seed
generous pinch of kosher salt
generous pinch of red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon snipped fresh parsley

Place carrots in a medium saucepan and cover generously with water.  Bring to a boil, then cook for 10-15 minutes until tender; drain.

Combine the remaining ingredients in a medium bowl; add the carrots, stir to coat.  Serve warm, at room temperature, or chilled.

Serves 4-6 as a side dish.

6 comments:

Candace said...

Ooooh! My father-in-law made a similar carrot dish for Thanksgiving a couple of years ago and they were hands down THE best carrots that I've ever had. That was the year we moved up here and I completely forgot to get the recipe for them. Thank you for sharing the recipe and reminding me that I need to make these pronto. Love.

Unknown said...

Love the flavors on these carrots.. and who knew someone would be able to make cooked carrots look appealing to me!!!

Bibi @ Bibi's Culinary Journey said...

I love all these flavors in the dish...I am sure these would be gone in my house in seconds :)

Debra Hawkins said...

I used to think I had a very developed taste before I started reading your blog and now I have realized how little I have tried. I guess I have tried a lot for a girl from small town Utah. :)

Cranberry Morning said...

Ooo, it's the smoked paprika that makes all the difference, I bet. I need to use my Penzey's coupon! This sounds like a great change from carrots with butter. :-)

Debra Kapellakis said...

I am going to make these! YUM!


Ghosts of Postings Past and Present

Looking for Something ...?