Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Confetti Pasta


I recently had a meeting to attend after work, followed by errands. I got home late, and hadn't eaten much lunch; I was quite hungry.

I never resort to fast food, and I didn't want to just grab a bowl of cereal. So what could I make that was fast, but also had some semblance of nutrition?

That old favorite standby, pasta. I had a package of chicken- and bacon-stuffed borsetti (little filled pouches) in the freezer, which I'd bought on sale and saved for a time when I'd need a quick meal. Well, here was its moment to shine!

For color, flavor and health benefits, I sauteed some red pepper, green beans and red onion in a butter and balsamic vinegar mixture while the pasta cooked, then combined everything to finish the meal.

And that was it! Within 20 minutes, I had an elegant and delicious meal so festive that it seemed as though confetti had been sprinkled upon it ....

Confetti Pasta

1 9-ounce package fresh stuffed pasta (i.e.: tortellini, ravioli)
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons butter, divided
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/3 cup chopped green beans (1/2" dice)
1/3 cup chopped red pepper (1/2" dice)
1/3 cup chopped red onion (1/2" dice)
1 large garlic clove, minced
parmesan, for serving

Prepare pasta according to package directions.

Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, melt together the oil, vinegar and 1 tablespoon butter. Add the salt, pepper, and vegetables; saute for 5 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until beans are just tender when punctured with a knife. Stir in remaining tablespoon of butter.

Drain pasta, and toss with vegetables. Serve topped with parmesan.

Serves 2 as an entree, 4-6 as a side dish.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Pasta is my go-to food also! Especially on nights where I have little time. This looks like a definitely keeper!!

Cranberry Morning said...

Love this! Who says 'fast food' can't be beautiful, delicious, and nutritious!

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

I absolutely love recipes like this. Often when I'm rushed (daily!) my mind wanders to the quick and easy AKA fast food, then my tastebuds remember how unsatisfying fast food is...with tricks like this in my back pocket who needs yucky fast food! I love the veggies you put in here. It sounds really delicious, and in 20 minutes, can't beat that!

Angela said...

I try to keep a package of interesting pasta in the freezer for just this reason--currently in love with a wild mushroom ravioli from Costco. This looks wonderful!

judee@glutenfreeA-Z said...

Pasta often saves the day. What a great idea to mix it with all those colorful vegetables. Looks delicious.

Candace said...

I love your idea of fast food, Mary. This looks fantastic. I've never heard of borsetti; but, if it's filled with chicken and bacon, it has to be good!


Ghosts of Postings Past and Present

Looking for Something ...?