Tuesday, September 6, 2011
Peach 'n' Pecan Parfaits
It's the end of summer, and there is tremendous bounty at the various farmers' markets - fruits and vegetables abound! Before the cold weather sets in - and sadly, we all know it will - we must relish this opportunity to indulge in fresh produce.
There is little in life as sensual as biting into a juicy peach, fragrant and luscious. But sometimes you just want to glam things up a bit, make them a bit more special or elegant.
And that's precisely what today's recipe is about. These parfaits, featuring gorgeous ripe peaches, showcase the fruit's sweetness but also offer flavors and textures to complement that, as well.
These treats are ridiculously easy to make, yet seem special enough for any occasion ... even just the end of a lovely summer day.
Peach 'n' Pecan Parfaits
4 peaches, pitted, chopped into 1/2" pieces
1 apricot, pitted, chopped into 1/4" pieces
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup white wine (I used Flip Flop Wines Riesling, a most generous marketing gift!)
8 pecan shortbread cookies
whipped cream, for serving
Place the peaches, apricot, sugar and wine into a small saucepan; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook for 5 minutes or so, stirring frequently, until the sauce is pink-tinged and thickened. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
Crush the cookies - not too fine, but no huge chunks either. Set out two wine glasses. Place 1/4 of the cookie crumbs into the bottom of each glass, and top with 1/4 of the peach mixture in each, spreading carefully. Place half of the remaining cookie crumbs in a layer over the peaches in each glass, then top that with the remaining peaches. Top with a generous dollop of whipped cream.
Serves 2 generously.
Ghosts of Postings Past and Present
- ► 2014 (18)
- ► 2013 (88)
- ► 2012 (229)
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Tuptim
- Hot Dog Hotdish for the Minnesota Game
- Apple Almond Kugel for Rosh Hashanah
- The Saga of the Broken Apple Tart
- Peanut Butter Pancakes with Nutella Sauce
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Tea Haus
- Plantain Chip & Black Bean Nachos for the San Dieg...
- Confetti Pasta
- Creamy Macaroni & Cheese
- Soft 'n' Chewy Oatmeal Cookies for Alpha House
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- La Fiesta Mexicana
- Roasted Vegetable Pasta Salad for the EMU Game
- Curried Lentil Soup with Tomato
- Cinnamon Roll Sundae
- National Chocolate Milkshake Day
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- \aut\ Bar
- Chocolate Guinness Cake for the Notre Dame Game
- Zucchini alla Puttanesca
- Peach 'n' Pecan Parfaits
- National Cheese Pizza Day
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Frita Batidos
- Beer 'n' Cheese Bread for the Football Season Opener
- ▼ September (22)