Thursday, November 10, 2011

Bacon-Parmesan Popcorn


Popcorn is the official state snack food of Illinois. I'm not much of a popcorn fan - I can eat it, but don't really care if I ever do. However, I know I'm in a distinct minority with regard to my lack of affection for this treat.

Michigan will be playing Illinois this Saturday, so it only seemed appropriate to feature popcorn in today's post. But I had to glam it up a bit. I debated whether to make a sweet or savory version, or whether to make cute little football-shaped popcorn balls.

And then I had an epiphany.

I'm offering something completely fabulous which features an utter lack of redeeming nutritional value (which is, of course, why it's so fabulous!). Even though I can usually live without popcorn, I think I could actually start craving this.

Today's recipe is for Bacon-Parmesan Popcorn.

Yup - salty, crunchy, cheesy, and with bacon. Supreme snack food!

This is ideal for tailgating or for watching the game at home. It's a great treat for any occasion, from watching the Oscars to watching a movie. Truly, how can you go wrong with anything that has bacon???

Pass the popcorn, please ....

Bacon-Parmesan Popcorn

1 3-ounce packet low-sodium microwaveable popcorn
4 strips low-sodium bacon
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
3/4 teaspoon all-purpose seasoning (i.e.: Mrs. Dash)
1/3 cup very finely grated Parmesan cheese

Prepare popcorn according to package directions, then place into a large mixing bowl.

Meanwhile, place bacon into a large skillet and cook, turning occasionally, until very crisp. Remove bacon from skillet and crumble; reserve the bacon fat.

Add oil and crumbled bacon to the bacon fat; pour over the popcorn and toss to combine. Sprinkle seasoning and Parmesan over the popcorn, and toss to combine well.

Makes approximately 8 cups of popcorn.

9 comments:

Cranberry Morning said...

Good grief, Mary! You're making popcorn into a main dish! I'll have to show this to Kevin, the official popcorn maker in the family. :-)

tori said...

This looks dangerously, dangerously good.

Angela said...

I am a popcorn fiend--I grew up eating it every weekend, since my dad actually grew popcorn--and I have never seen this particular combo, which looks most evil-ly delicious and decadent.

Curt said...

My wife and I used to make something similar, but not with the pieces of bacon.

I like yours much better.

Karen Harris said...

Angela is right, you are an evil genius and I love you for it. Great recipe!

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

I've used bacon fat to cook the corn in before but never had I considered slathering it in the bacon renderings, with the bacon! Muchless the parm :) Divine, simply divine!

Beth Zimmerman said...

Oh My Goodness! That sounds heavenly! And I don't even like popcorn! :)

Unknown said...

Bacon? Parmesan? Talk about tempting someone this morning!!! YUM YUM and a little more Yum is about all I can come up with!!! :)

Candace said...

What an amazing combination, Mary?! I would never have considered pairing bacon, parmesan and popcorn. I definitely need to try it.


Ghosts of Postings Past and Present

Looking for Something ...?