Friday, November 18, 2011

Frugal Floozie Friday -- Kilwin's


Today's Frugal Floozie Friday post features the consummate, classic Fall treat - caramel apples from Kilwin's.

These aren't just any ol' caramel apples, made with little cellophane-wrapped squares ... nope. These are hand-dipped into caramel that has been tended in copper kettles, from the original recipe developed by Don Kilwin himself.

To their credit, Kilwin's uses Granny Smith apples, whose tartness perfectly complements the sweetness of the caramel, which tantalizes with just a hint of butterscotch. The texture is perfection - firm enough to adhere to the apple, soft enough to bite or cut directly into the sublime treat without resistance.

The apples that are dipped into nuts are just over our mandatory Frugal Floozie Friday budget; but the plain ones - a term which is woefully dismissive of a truly luxurious indulgence! - are a perfect $5.

I walk by the windows at Kilwin's on a regular basis, gazing at the beautiful rows of caramel apples each time; they are lined up in formation, ready to go to a good home. It is easy to be seduced by them when you see them in their beautiful simplicity. And once you've eaten one, you'll want to return again and again and again ....


Kilwin's
107 East Liberty Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48104
734-769-7759



View Larger Map

6 comments:

Unknown said...

When I was a kid I would beg my mom for caramel apples and all i would do is eat the caramel off of them!! lol I couldn't understand my mom got so upset at that! :)

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Caramel apples are my favorite dessert. Even over chocolate. Don't tell chocolate I said that, though :)

Cranberry Morning said...

I can almost taste that wonderful caramel apple, Mary! Looks delicious.

Mary Sullivan Frasier said...

Oooh... I love caramel apples! There's a place locally where they make them with the scratch caramel and it is definitely decadent. I might just have to head over there after I run errands today!

Thanks for the inspiration, m'dear! :~)

Miriam said...

Caramel apples is seriously my favorite treat. Have a great weekend! Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

Candace said...

There is definitely nothing plain about that apple, Mary. It looks delicious!


Ghosts of Postings Past and Present

Looking for Something ...?