Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Butterscotch Pumpkin Pudding


After happily eating my way through Ypsilanti a few weeks ago at the Grub Crawl, I wanted to make a pudding of my own that was reminiscent of the spicy, creamy sample offered at the Corner Brewery.

Homemade pudding takes virtually no effort to make, just a few minutes of standing while stirring it on the stovetop. The hardest part of the process is simply waiting for the pudding to chill and set before you can eat it!

This is an exceptionally perfect dessert for Fall, and would make a lovely offering at Thanksgiving, too, if you're thinking that far ahead; simply put the entire batch into a decorative bowl and let it chill completely, then people can help themselves to individual servings.

Butterscotch Pumpkin Pudding

2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 cup sugar
pinch of kosher salt
1/2 cup water
3/4 cup half-and-half
1 egg
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 cup butterscotch chips
1/3 cup pumpkin puree

In a medium saucepan, combine cornstarch, sugar and salt; add water and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, whisking to remove lumps. When the mixture becomes thick and translucent, turn heat down to medium-low.

Combine half-and-half and egg; add slowly, whisking constantly. Stir in vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg; cook, stirring constantly, for 5-7 minutes until thickened. Stir in butterscotch chips until melted and mixture is smooth. Stir in pumpkin.

Divide pudding among 4 dessert glasses, and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least 4 hours to set.

Serve chilled, topped with whipped cream.

Makes 4 servings.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Butterscotch pudding has always been one of my favorite puddings... add the pumpkin and I bet it is killer!

Cranberry Morning said...

Where have I been all my life that I've missed this? I've never even thought of a butterscotch-pumpkin pudding. I have to try this. I may even sprinkle a few mini chocolate chips on top. :-)

Miriam said...

I officially love you for this recipe. I bet it could be made into a really mean pie too for the upcoming holidays!! :), Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

Angela said...

I love this idea and hey, it has to be healthy because it is a vegetable..


Ghosts of Postings Past and Present

Looking for Something ...?