Friday, November 4, 2011

Frugal Floozie Friday -- Roma Bakery


All summer long, I'd been watching a new place on Washtenaw as it put up signs and promised to be open soon; but each day it didn't seem to be ready for customers. Finally, though, just 3 weeks ago, the Roma Bakery - an institution in Dearborn - was ready to offer its wonderful treats to Ann Arbor and Ypsilanti.

Roma Bakery is famous for its pepperoni rolls. But when Jeremy and I bee-lined for the shop - driving by on a sunny Saturday afternoon, seeing the "open" sign, veering into a neighborhood across the street to turn around, then aiming straight for the goodies - we had already eaten lunch. So we chatted a bit with the owner and the very friendly gentleman behind the counter, and we chose an assortment of sweets which readily fell into our $5 per person Frugal Floozie Friday budget.

For a mere $2.50, Jeremy chose a box of 10 miniature cream puffs. He couldn't wait until we got back to my place to eat them, so I rushed to take a picture in the car before they were devoured. The cream filling in these is just lovely, not as thick as it often is. And, as Jeremy put it: "You can taste the sweetness not just from sugar but from real cream." Absolutely!

I had chosen an assortment of cookies for $3 (pictured above), to sample a variety of goodies. And just as I was paying, I noticed a bowl of mahmoul - beautiful Middle Eastern cookies made with special carved molds - and couldn't resist buying one for $1. Mahmoul often feature a date filling, but this one had ground nuts and just a hint of rose water; they were truly unique and wonderful.

The sprinkle-coated treats were decadent chocolate coconut truffles. There were also rich fudge-filled chocolate sandwich cookies, and some chocolate-dipped shortbread cookies with just a hint of cinnamon. The ladyfinger was sandwiched together with a schmear of apricot jam that shone in unison with the buttery cookie.

There are many potential Frugal Floozie Friday options at Roma Bakery, from 9" pizzas ($1.75-$3.50) to the $3 Pepperoni Rolls to traditional Middle Eastern spinach and meat pies ($1.25-$1.50). I will absolutely have to go back to sample more of the menu!


Roma Bakery
4837 Washtenaw
Ann Arbor, MI 48108
734-879-0100


View Larger Map

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Good gravy.. I think I got lost in the first photo and never came back!! Please don't take this the wrong way, but I dislike visiting your site on Friday - there's always something I can't have!!! lol I wish you could move Michigan closer to me! :)

Cranberry Morning said...

Wow! You can hardly get anything for that price anymore. Great addition to your Frugal Floozie Friday!

Lauren | Have Fork Will Eat said...

I was so glad to see this was open the other day! I too have been watching the signs. I've never been to Roma so I'm excited to try it out, especially after reading this!

Casey said...

The prices are great and each item looks delicious.

Judee @ Gluten Free A-Z said...

I love reading about your Frugal Friday finds; they are always so much fun, and I marvel at how you keep to your $5 budget! My mother- in- law makes both the date and chopped nut versions of Mahmoul. They are a buttery treat! See you next Friday..


Ghosts of Postings Past and Present

Looking for Something ...?